So sorry you all are dealing with this...I too dealt with it for SEVERAL months with dd...she is 3 now and we still go through the vaginal yeast symptoms every once in a while. My breast yeast and her gassy/fussy/colicky symptoms went away a long time ago, but it still is present in our bodies and goes nuts sometimes. Her diaper rash went on for several months/years...would go away and come back etc.
What I wanted to touch on is what we did. If you are doing Diflucan(flucanazole) there is a specific regime/aka dosage that needs to be taken. Many docs have no clue about how much to prescribe and then they say oh I can't do too much its dangerous.
The pediatrician and lac consultant (husband and wife team in Greensboro, NC) that I worked with (AWESOME!) explained that its not dangerous for you and baby to take Diflucan for a while---we were on it for 4 months. Baby takes the oral suspension of Diflucan and you take the pills (however I found Diflucan to work well for my breast yeast but not for my vaginal yeast--ever).
They looked up in the medical book and showed me the half life of the medicine, ie. how much was in my body and how long before its in baby and the levels, and its not toxic to either.
A few suggestions that helped me:
1) baby MUST be treated when you are being treated no matter if they show signs. My daughter did not EVER have the white spots in her mouth. She had cradle cap (yeast related), diaper rash, gas, colick etc. That's how we knew...plus the excruciating pain in my nipples when she was 1-2 weeks old.
2) DH must be treated, *especially*if its recurring and you are having
intercourse with him--but even if you aren't yet... just him touching baby can transfer it... he doesn't have to have any symptoms either. Athlete's foot, jock itch are caused by overgrowth of yeast---even major gassiness/farting by dh, I was told, is a sign
3) Someone mentioned that they think their pets had yeast and were contributing to it--YES! this doc and wife team said they had a family who was treated---even the DOG, :LOL because the dog had yeast so bad. They couldn't get rid of the yeast till they figured out that they needed to treat the dog. This is an extreme case but I guess it can happen!
4) I tried all of the natural remedies, GSE, anti-yeast pills, garlic, etc in the beginning months and they didn't work. Its only now that GSE pills help me "maintain" my system...
5) I did 4 rounds of Diflucan but it kept coming back
6) the ONLY thing that worked, and has worked and I resort to every time the yeast comes back (the best for curing my vaginal yeast) was something the lac consultant and pediatrician team suggested and do recommend to their mom and baby patients with yeast---Dioxychlor.
Its made by American Biologics. Its prepared like a homeopathic remedy, however its a liquid form and you do not need a prescription. http://www.americanbiologics.com/abset.htm
Click on Dioxychlor. Its ingredients are NaCL---sodium chloride---(salt). They have a PDF file about a study they did with Dioxychlor and yeast.
7) There is a specific dosage that you follow with this Dioxychlor.
Email/PM me if you want the doc/lac consultant contact info and/or the dosage I took for the Dioxychlor.
8) Jack Newman's book is also great for yeast...he has dosage info in there too about Diflucan I beleive and for his all-purpuse nipple ointment. I used kerrysherbals.com 's Miracle Salve Plus for my nipples and baby's diaper area. I loved it...worked really well in addition to the oral stuf we took.
Hugs to all! I hope you nip it in the bud!
OH! And to the post about recurrent vaginal infections and being more prone to breast yeast...i think so. I grew up on antibiotics it seems and every time I went to the gyn she'd say, Oh you have a vaginal yeast infection. I never knew...well sometimes I did but I lived with it...it was systemic at the point when I gave birth to dd. The pregnancy hormones and then your hormones changing after brith really screw up your body's flora and deifnitely kicked my yeast up a notch and gave me so many problems.
I have to say that some people get rid of it and its gone but for others its about daily maintence, IME. I haven't had breast issues since dd was 7 months old (she is 3 yrs now) but the vaginal yeast in me and in her and her rashes around her anus always keep me on my toes and so we have to be careful. I take GSE extract & acidolphilus now that I am pregnant with #2 as a maintenence, and dd takes primadolphilus for kids (chewable tablets of acidolphiulus) and it mostly keeps her yeast in check. Sometimes if we have too much dairy it will flare up and then I give her a drop of the Dioxychlor.
HTH! And sorry so Long!