Mastitis 3 times and DD is only 7 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a horrible time. Here is my story, advice needed:

one week PP mastitis treated with antibiotics.

Three weeks PP mastitis treated with vitamin C and relieved with shower head.

Now I have a plugged duct for ten days and I tried everything! Now it has turned into mastitis (fever, body aches, red line)

I have tried pumping, nursing with chin towards lump, HOT compress, hot shower, massage, baths, rest, lecithin ( since my last bout )

Today I had ultrasound done as per Jack Newman, but it's not working yet. What do I do now?

Hello.
#2 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Recurrent mastitis:

Did you complete your round of ABX? If so, were you completely asymptomatic after the round? There are varying ABX that can prescribed like any infection, if one ABX doesn't work you may need to contemplate another with your HCP.

Is your bra too small? Are you wearing pads in your bra that "was the right size" that could be causing compression?

Are you ensuring adequate draining of each breast? Are you having any other type of breastfeeding difficulty that could be contributing to plugged ducts (nipple trauma or poor latch on/positioning?)

Have you contemplated soy lecithin or reducing saturated fat intake?

Are you nursing frequently enough?

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#3 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM

nak

have you tried lecithin?
#4 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm thinking that it could be that your not draining the breast effectively. How is the latch?

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#5 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Oh, and I just wanted to give a GIANT hug!!! I know how hard those first weeks can be. Hang in there mama.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#6 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

I am taking lecithin since the second bout of mastitis.

I stopped wearing bras and wear plain shelf tank tops (size large).

I have been battling thrush since I took the abx. I took a seven day course of keflex. Thrush seems to be clearing up with APNO, GSE oral, a course of gentian and vinegar in every laundry load.

What happens if this duct will not empty? I am having ultrasound tomorrw again but you can only do it twice.

My latch took work, I had bleeding nipples for a couple weeks but the midwife says the latch is perfect. Perhaps I should see an LC.

Also, it seems she empties both breasts but I always get more than one letdown. DD also fusses when the breast is 'empty'.

There must be something I am doing wrong though

Hello.
#7 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM

More than one letdown is normal. You can switch side to side to get more letdowns and more fatty hindmilk.

Does the baby have any symptoms of thrush? You can pass it back and forth.

It sounds as though the breast isn't draining properly and perhaps an eval with either a LLL leader or an IBCLC in your area would be ideal.

Hot compresses, massage, and lots of nursing should get the plug, but it can take a few days. For me, it took about 3 days to get rid of a plug after the symptoms of the actual mastitis started to abate. You could also contemplate dropping your saturated fat intake.

Sounds like you've been through the wringer, hugs.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#8 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM

I would certainly have an appointment with and LC at this point.

#9 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I will call for an LC appt.

I went to a LLL meeting last week and I had the blockage them but the leader didn't know what else to do besides what I was already doing.

Hello.
#10 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM

another call for lechithin. And ANY underwire or even slightly tight bra would do it to me. And the seatbelt in the car on trips over 2 hours.

And, there are 2 homeopathic remedies I used that were miraculous. Curiously, not the ones recommended on Kelly Mom, but I can't remember what I used. There is a guide here -

http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/breast_feeding_p.htm

Byronia alba and pullsatilla might have been what I took.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I will keep massaging with heat but it hurts much. I think all these problems with BF are making me depressed too. I feel like I am a failure and I am making my DD nurse all the time and I am not enjoying her newness.

Hello.
#12 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 PM

I don't have any advice beyond what the other Moms have given you but I couldn't read without sending you some love -- you're doing so much to give your babe your milk. Good job Mama! Please do not feel like a failure! I know it's hard, but enjoy her while you nurse. Play with her little hands and feet, whisper stories and secrets to her, stroke her little head. Breathe and picture your milk flowing flowing flowing!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#13 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
I will keep massaging with heat but it hurts much. I think all these problems with BF are making me depressed too. I feel like I am a failure and I am making my DD nurse all the time and I am not enjoying her newness.
I hope that you are able to find an LC today and get an appointment.

I know it's rough. I've had mastitis a number of times myself.

Liz

#14 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

just chiming in as moral support. i'm going through something similar myself.

great job being diligent and seeking out help. i hope you find a lc.
#15 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM

I agree with several of the PP recommendations. I just wanted to say that I had mastitis twice in the first 3 weeks, and it sucks, pun intended, and the second round we were battling thrush at the same time (probably due to the antibiotics of the first round of mastitis. It's hard. The good news is, once the sore on my nipple finally healed, we haven't had it since ... granted, it's only been 8 weeks, but still, things are looking much, much, much brighter.

Are you taking enough lecithin? I took 4 pills a day while I had the mastitis and I take one a day now as preventative.

I found that wet heat was much more effective than the dry heat of a heating pad. I would fill a big mixing bowl with hot water and a little vinegar and submerge my boob in it several times a day -- before nursing or pumping especially. I also used the handle of my husband's electric shaver to massage the lumps in a hot shower, but a regular massager or even an electric toothbrush should work, too. I tried to massage while nursing, and then use a heating pad, plus massage, plus pumping immediately after nursing. Sometimes I even used baby oil to help with the massage, but then I tossed the milk I pumped, since I was worried some might have gotten in.

s

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#16 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
nak

have you tried lecithin?
another vote for this.

I had this prob too with #1 & antibiotics did not clear it up & it became an abcess. The day I went for an US for measurements for the breast surgeon I began taking a homeopathic remedy Phytolacca Decandra by Boiron. Within hrs I felt relief. I took a lot the first day or two. 2 days later I went to the surgeon again & the abcess was about 1/4 the size of the US measurements & no pain at all. It completely cleared in no time & I just continued to take 1 dose a day for the rest of the time I Bfed (along with lecithin).

I highly recommend this. I found a recommendation for using it somewhere on these boards.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#17 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olien View Post
another vote for this.

I had this prob too with #1 & antibiotics did not clear it up & it became an abcess. The day I went for an US for measurements for the breast surgeon I began taking a homeopathic remedy Phytolacca Decandra by Boiron. Within hrs I felt relief. I took a lot the first day or two. 2 days later I went to the surgeon again & the abcess was about 1/4 the size of the US measurements & no pain at all. It completely cleared in no time & I just continued to take 1 dose a day for the rest of the time I Bfed (along with lecithin).

I highly recommend this. I found a recommendation for using it somewhere on these boards.
I am taking four lecithn per day.

Where did you get that homeopathic?

Hello.
#18 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM

How are things going?

Were you able to go in and get seen by an IBCLC?

Any reduction in pain/swelling?

Liz

#19 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for asking.

Going in to see an LC today (she is also an MD) which is good since I emailed Jack Newman and he thinks it has abcessed.

The redness has gone down and no fever but golfball sized hard lump still there.

Also DD has refused to comfort nurse for the past 3 days. When she fusses she won't take the breast and she pushes away. If she is drowsy she will take it so I bounce/walk her until she falls to sleep and she screams and then as soon as she wakes up she will nurse

Hello.
#20 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Good to hear that you're headed in the right direction. I hope that all goes well at the appointment and they're able to diagnose and move forward to help you feel better and get past this rough bump in the road.

Liz

#21 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM

I could have written your post. I think some people try all these things and just are VERY prone to Mastitis. I am the only one i know of in my family that has BF because of this. It started with my first and hasn't really gotten a ton better, but I have done the things previously mentioned, along with a few more.

When you lie down- to sleep or for whatever reason, if you can don't wear any bra or shelf tank or anything- I know this can be hard when you are leaking but if you can it is better.

There is something called "Poke Root Tincture" that you can buy from Tiny Tots for 7.50- it is amazing. You can't take it while pregnant but it is fine for nursing. I would take that when you feel so much as a threatened plug coming on, it relieves swelling in all glands of the body. And do that with the Lecithin as a preventative.

Good luck and I commend you on your determination/good stubbornness, because you have to be to have gotten through this much already!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#22 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
I am taking four lecithn per day.

Where did you get that homeopathic?
I have gotten it at whole foods, wegmans, and the vitamin shoppe. Also at 2 local health food stores. Any place that sells Boiron (little blue vials) homeopathic remedys should have it. (the chamomilla is great for teething too!)

BTW buy at least 2 vials to start with. You will be taking a lot the first day or two depending on how bad it is.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page