Breastfed daycare baby... (pain in the neck) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is his first day. He's almost two months old.

This is the first time I have had a baby who brings pumped milk in little bags.

These things are a HUGE pain in the neck. They are little ziplock bags called "Lanisoh". <--- or something like that. They look similar to the old playtex liners, but with ziplock tops.

He brought six bags, with about 1-2 oz in each bag. I need to use two bags per feeding. Out of six bags, four of them leaked when thawed. They are leaking from the bottom.

When she freezes them, she lays them flat to freeze, so I can't dump them while frozen into another container to thaw.

So... can anybody troubleshoot for me?
#2 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

I used Lansinoh bags for months and months with DD and had no trouble with leaking or anything.

How are you thawing them?

And did the parent explain why there's so little milk in each bag? Does she know she can store an ounce in a bottle in the fridge until the next pumping session then put the combined oz in one bag so you only thaw one per feeding?

As for freezing them flat, don't know much about that either. I was putting more oz in each bag and kinda sat them up in the freezer.

Actually, why is mom freezing them at all? Is she workign through a storage of BM or fresh pumping, in which case why doesn't she just bring it fresh?

I guess I have more questions than answers! But I didn't have any trouble with sending breastmilk to daycare, although granted I also thawed and bottled any frozen milk myself so I was bringing already prepped bottles in, never frozen bags.
#3 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

I haven't had a problem with Lanisoh bags myself (that is what we use, and store the same as you describe)

All I could suggest really, is maybe you can ask the mom to go ahead and prep the bottles, at least 2, and you could keep a couple frozen bags, just in case?

I have seen these bags made by Simplesse at BRU that look a lot thicker than Lanisoh, and still have the double zipper. You might also suggest this to her, to switch the sort of bag she freezes in.

HTH

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Thaw in an empty pan.

Suggest mama leaves more headspace in the bag when freezing.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#5 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know why there is so little milk in each bag. This is the first time she's tried it, so, she's just trying to figure it all out I guess.

I'm wondering if this batch of bags could be flawed somehow? She said she had one other brand at home, and she'd try those. She also said "I guess I don't have to freeze them".

OH.. and I thawed the last two in a Pyrex measuring cup, in case it leaked. (which I thought was pretty clever. LOL) But, these two didn't leak.

I'm thawing it at room temperature, and then putting the bottles into a mug of hot water.
#6 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

I used Lansinoh bags and they did leak occasionally. I'd thaw them in a bowl in the fridge so I could catch and use the leaked milk. Why don't you just ask her to bring pre-thawed and made-up bottles? That way it's not any more trouble to you than formula and she doesn't have to worry that the leaking will mean baby won't have enough food at daycare. That's what I did for my DCP.
#7 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM

We always recommend to only store 2 ounces at a time so as to not thaw milk unnecessarily.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#8 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM

And, to be even more PITA, our daycare served in 2-oz increments, because once it was offered, they had to dump it if DS didn't drink it at one offering. Granted, he was much older and he WAS rejecting pumped milk at daycare.

Perhaps she is freezing them on the side because of space. That's what I had to do in the freezer. I didn't have room to have them all upright. And they never STAYED upright, either. When they're frozen flat, you can sort of stack them in the freezer.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#9 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM

I'd definitely ask the parents to bring in bottles already prepared. Or at least the milk thawed already. I had infant classes for years and never had anyone bring in a frozen bag.

Laura, mama to Abel, age 12.
also caregiver to many other creatures...
#10 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM

When I was pumping I would bring in the already prepped bottles as well, but I also made sure my dcp always had some frozen BM on hand for emergencies (like the day I pulled out of the driveway with the bottles of EBM on the roof of the car...)

Trying to get my bearings...
#11 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM

I always prepped the bottles when I pumped too. They gave me preprinted labels for the bottles for her name/date. The center dd went to would not prep BM or formula, just warm it.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#12 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM

I used Lansinoh bags and had a batch that leaked from the seams on the bottom or sides. Just the one batch though.

I also froze my lying flat, because they thaw quicker and made storage easier.

I also froze 4-5 oz per bag.

I generally thawed my daughter's milk for the day overnight and then poured the milk into bottles and sent them that way. I also gave the daycare, 4-5 bags of additional milk at a time in case something was spilled or she hungrier than usual and they kept those in their freezer and thawed when necessary.
#13 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I freeze bags on the side too to save space and I use the Lansinoh bags and they didn't leak. Can you ask Mom to make up bottles? I always took bottles to daycare.
#14 of 29 Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 PM

We had a problem with one box of the lansinoh bags as well & not again. We just got in the habit of thawing them in something in case they leaked.

I don't think it is uncommon to freeze in 2oz increments. Pumping is not a lot of fun & to have any of it thrown out 'cause it doesn't get used is discouraging.

I would try to thaw in the fridge though - it's really better to keep it cold until you need to warm it for the feeding.

Good for mama for pumping & continuing to breastfeed!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#15 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll just be sure to always thaw them in a glass container in case they leak. I'm hoping it's just this particular batch of bags. Mom said she just bought them this week, but also bought some Medella bags. So, she'll use those for the rest of the week, and I hope I won't have any more problems.

I have formula here for him just in case... but, he's never had formula, so I certainly don't want to use that until she says to.

He's only seven weeks old..... SOOOO cute!
#16 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I too would recommend that she prepare bottles in advance and have the frozen as the extra backup if he wants more one day. But yeah, I have definitely heard that it is always a good idea to thaw those bags in something in case they leak.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#17 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 PM

I also don't see why she's providing frozen milk? Fresh is good for up to 8 days in the fridge, and it's better quality than frozen. I always give fresh - monday's milk on tuesday, tuesday's milk on wednesday... friday's milk on monday, etc. I do have some frozen bags as a 'back up' but have never really needed them.

For my provider, I pre-make my daughters cups (she's 14m now, but this went for bottles too), and label them in the order I want them given (so oldest milk gets a #1 on it).
#18 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaS57 View Post
I also don't see why she's providing frozen milk? Fresh is good for up to 8 days in the fridge, and it's better quality than frozen. I always give fresh - monday's milk on tuesday, tuesday's milk on wednesday... friday's milk on monday, etc. I do have some frozen bags as a 'back up' but have never really needed them.

For my provider, I pre-make my daughters cups (she's 14m now, but this went for bottles too), and label them in the order I want them given (so oldest milk gets a #1 on it).
This. Frozen is good for back-up, but fresh is SO much easier to deal with. I pumped for a year and we got into a pretty good pattern. It took some thinking and adjusting, and the freezer stash was comforting to have while we figured out what he needed when, and how to balance nursing and pumping (I worked a block from home so I'd run... literally, run home on my breaks to nurse), but it got to the point that we never (or very rarely, anyway) had to freeze milk or bust into the freezer stash.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#19 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

She brought it in three bottles today. It makes all the difference in the world!

I didn't ask her to bring it prepared, she just did it. But, it's much easier than thawing two bags every few hours.
#20 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM

That is what I was going to say! Our daycare insisted on bottles already prepared.
#21 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM

It's harder on the first day, because you are pulling milk out of the freezer. What she brought you today, is probably what she pumped yesterday.

Not saying you'll never see the bags again!

Being a pumping mama's is tough, and every bitty bit of that milk is hard to get out. Thank you for being such a supportive provider for her!

BTW, lansinoh bags are the best I've found. The medela ones are just awful, awful, awful. You may suggest using these, or even just cheapy gerber bottles. don't have to worry about leaks that way.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#22 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM

I haven't even tried taking in any milk not already prepared. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that.

I take monday's pumped milk on tuesday, tuesday's on wednesday, etc. On friday I freeze what I pumped, and then on Monday I pull out the oldest milk from the freezer and mix that with anything I pumped over the weekend. I have a hard enough time getting enough milk during the weekdays, so I rarely get enough over the weekend. But I do try to pump some on the weekend so that my freezer stash is growing.

I'm glad to read about them leaking sometimes, I'll start thawing in a dish! Thanks!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#23 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Some people pump right from the beginning after birth, to build a freezer stash for going back to work. Its much easier. My friend did this and by the time her dd neared her 1 yr birthday, she had to toss out 1500 oz of breastmilk. She didn't know to donate it.

Rhiana mom of 4
Emmaleigh Claire born 8-7-09 :
#24 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
You may suggest using these, or even just cheapy gerber bottles. don't have to worry about leaks that way.
I love those! That's the kind that parents have always brought me in the past. I didn't even know about the bags until yesterday.
#25 of 29 Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I love those! That's the kind that parents have always brought me in the past. I didn't even know about the bags until yesterday.
That's good if you're only freezing for a couple of days.

But at 15 dollars for 12, I would have spent 30 dollars already, and DD is only 3 months old.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#26 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM

i pumped and froze for months-- (perhaps I didn't have big stash?) only in bottles-- never bags. I bough 3 packs, adn was able to score about 30 on CL. I also used cheaper gerber bottes.

It was worth it, to me, after reading all those horrible reviews on bad bags.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#27 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

i had issues with lansinoh bags and wrote a letter to their customer service. basically, they told me that the type of plastic they use plus the sterilization process tends to weaken the bags and the slightest bump to a frozen bag will tear it. i just thaw in another container in the fridge.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#28 of 29 Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM

I pumped and froze on maternity leave, and at first I only ever got 2oz increments. I froze them right away for freshness sake.

Once I got going, I generally kept it fresh in the fridge and they took Monday's pumping on Tuesday, Tuesday's on Weds, etc etc.

But in the beginning, pumping was SO hard and I was SO worried about wasting anything that I did things like have 2oz bags.

Later on, by the way, once I had a rhythm down, I got freezer-safe storage bottles and froze most of my milk directly in bottles, avoiding baggies altogether.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#29 of 29 Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM

I used the Lansinoh bags too and they're very good IF you are super-careful about not bumping them around once frozen. I freeze flat and then put them sideways in a shoebox-sized sterlite container in the freezer. Each box holds about 100oz... once full the box goes in the deep freezer. This protects the bags and I very rarely have leaks.

If I drop a frozen bag, I mark it with a sharpie then when it comes time to defrost I put it in a ziploc first, to save any leaking milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page