Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellabaz View Post
Are you getting enough rest?
Wanted to ask this too, for me adequate rest makes a HUGE difference in my supply, if it drops below my threshold amount, it doesn't really matter what else I do, my supply drops significantly. Now that I know this, I make sure to go to bed earlier as needed to keep my body rested enough.

And I know how worrying it is, definitely! You are a great mom though and yes, as wonderful as breastfeeding is, it is such a small thing compared to everything else you do for her as her mom!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#32 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
We've had bouts of lowered milk supply, but I know all of the tricks and we've made it through.
Just a thought... were you using pumping to maintain your supply (even before the current situation now)? What kind of pump are you using? I've heard of some pumps starting to lose suction after a while, which could be another explanation for the decreased volumes you're getting -- with decreased suction, you also wouldn't be getting the stimulation you need to help increase your supply. I definitely agree with the previous suggestions to consult a lactation consultant, and maybe you could consider renting a hospital-grade pump to try?
#33 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM

all I wanted to add was re: water - I would do a cup. DS only chews on sippys (they are valve-less) and doesn't understand a straw. A few sips of water may not be a bad thing.

And you are not failing your baby! you are still her mama, and you are trying your best.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#34 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM

babies will suck a bottle down, even when they aren't hungry. that's why ff babies are often overfed.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

and also this website is great, the book is phenomenal: www.lowmilksupply.com

millie does the same thing. pop on pop off get pissed. rinse. repeat. she also tries to multi-task aka crawl off with my boob in her mouth.

hugs! just keep offering!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#35 of 39 Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Hugs! You are NOT failing your baby!! Also, there is nothing wrong with supplementing with some formula! I posted about this recently in another post...with my son (my first), I honestly would have rather DIED than given him formula, and luckily never needed to. But this time around my baby girl was never big on EBM in the bottle and then started rejecting it outright...long story short I discovered I had a lipase issue (basically means that my milk would start to taste horribly sour after a day in the fridge or freezer). I work outside the home 2 days per week, now that I know about the lipase I just scald my pumped milk and it stays sweet tasting. But, when I first found out, I ended up having to toss my ENTIRE freezer stash. That meant I had no buffer and there were times that she needed a little more than what I had pumped for her the previous work day. After she was over 6 mos of age, I VERY reluctantly ordered some organic formula (bright beginnings). She rejected it the first time- which I was secretly happy about- but then took the next one- weeks later- without a problem. She rarely needs one now, as we are really in synch and she is eating more solids, but it is nice to have the back up in case the nanny spills a bottle or something. As I said in my other post, I feel wonderful and confident that I BFd from the beginning and will continue to right on into toddlerhood (until she is ready to give it up). It was so freeing to realize that adding a little formula in with an older baby is NOT a big deal. I personally would much rather keep my baby satisfied than worry about the judgment of others. I think you need to give her the formula and then keep doing everything else you're doing so that the formula doesn't further decrease your supply (so keep with the frequent nursings and pumpings etc., but add in formula starting with just one 4 oz bottle). Also, I want to tell you that your breastfeeding relationship is not at risk by supplementing. That may be the case for super main stream mamas that weren't that committed to begin with. But for mamas like you and me, I don't think that it is a concern.
Hugs again!!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#36 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 PM

i forgot to add...compressions are great for increasing supply. how are you doing?

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#37 of 39 Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM

seems like my supply has dropped with both kids around this age, they start nursing less, taking more solids. I deal with it by giving juice or water during the late afternoon when i seem to have less milk. I really worried about it a lot when this happend with my first, but not so much with the second. She is plenty old enough for solids and water/juice (mine is also 9 months) and happily nurses, even if there isn't very much milk in there. Like I said, this happened with my first and I continued to nurse her until just after her 2nd birthday (she thrived and was/is a very healthy child- never a drop of formula) You might try giving a bit of water if you having a hard time nursing, it might just be that your babe is thirsty and impatient, works for mine, then she nurses just fine after that. also, she has had issues with constipation, changed her baby cereal to mixed grain and add apple juice and we are back to soft poos, if it gets a little hard I give watered down apple juice. don't know what it is about apple juice, but it always seems to get my kids poop nice and soft.

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :
#38 of 39 Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some other ideas: let down had probably become less pronounced which annoys a lot of babies around now. You probably don't always feel it any more either. It is Norma, for weight gai. To slow around now. 7 times a day is really not all that much. I'd try and offer the breast every two hours.

Dd is 12 months and this whT we do when i am home and not working she doesnt always nurse T al these times and she never nurses to sleep but i think kind of schedule is pretty normal Wake up, snack nurse BEFORE a bit of breakfast, morning nap nurse, wake up nurse, snack nurse BEFORE lunch, afternoon nap nurse, snack nurse BEFORE dinner, night nurse, 2-3 during night.
#39 of 39 Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post
I've given her the sippy cup and my straw to practice and just for the experience, but she just chews. She doesn't get it yet. Should I put some water in a bottle to ensure she gets some water?

He did ask about pees, but I felt casual about it at the time and said it was fine...it was after that I realized there really might be a problem.
We just went straight to a cup around this age.

Any chance you're eating mint or drinking mint tea? Mint dried me right up, overnight.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page