Lazy 19 hours old nursling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My grandson was born 19 hours ago....we had a natural birth with midwives and my daughter is very patient, feeling great and well rested.

Little Dante nursed before we left the hospital. And has nursed for a total of 15 minutes once and 5 minutes.

He CAN latch...he CAN suck...he is just completely unmotivated to do so.

I've never had a baby like this. He was awake for 3 hours after birth...then awake another 3 hours after...then last night pretty much slept from 10:30 to 7am. He's not crying much..he's aware, awake, and seems ok. But omg..he's brand new. He didn't nurse at night.

He nursed for 12 minutes at 9am...it's 10:40am now...he chews his fingers...latches on and nurses for a minute maybe and then quits.

MY daughter is nursing him now...he has latched for 2 minutes, nursed..now he's done and happy.

He was 8lbs and he's adorable

Midwife will be here shortly. But I'm just wondering...it "feels" ok...and I think he'll pick up.

Oh..he had a huge poop this morning so something go in.

thanks

Allgirls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
How many wet dipers? That is the most importnat sign.

I would just try to have him nurse more. Tickle his feet, wake him up more, skin to skin. Undress him down to just the diper. Things like that.

Congrads on the new baby.

Sorry for spelling toddler.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Not an LC but my observations after 5 kids is that they do tend to sleep a lot during the first 24 hours. Is he peeing? If he isn't peeing enough I'd be concerned right away, otherwise I would encourage her to try to put him to the breast every 1 to 2 hours and at least a couple of times through the night and hopefully he'll start picking up. If he passed the mec this morning he is probably going to be hungrier now.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a nicu nurse and we tell moms that it is great if you can get at least one good feeding in the first 24 hours. He also only needs one pee and one poop for every day he is born until day 4. So for day one, one pee and one poop. Day 2 , two pees and 2 poops. Until day 4 or 5 by which mom should have had her milk come in and the baby eating more. Sometimes the best way to get a sleepy baby to eat is to leave him skin to skin with mom so that any rooting or searching she can put him straight to breast. Alot of times a baby that is over stimulated by trying to get them to eat will shut down and play possum. They will look like they are in true coma sleep! But a few minutes in a diaper laying on moms breasts, as long as he is warm enough a cold baby won't eat either, and poof, the baby will wake up and eat.
I hope this is helpful! Good luck!

User Tag List