My friend has Peripartum cardiomyopathy and has been told she must wean - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very good friend who gave birth this past Thursday to her second child...a boy who weighed in at 10 lbs. 9 oz.! He was an avid nurser from the beginning. He latched on beautifully from the start. On Sunday evening my friend was feeling very tired (beyond the normal just gave birth tired) so her dh took her blood pressure (they are both nurses). It was super high so they suspected a blood clot and took her to the emergency room. Before leaving she nursed her son for what she didn't know would be the last time.

At the hospital she was diagnosed with Peripartum cardiomyopathy. She has been given a great prognosis however the medication she is on is not compatible with bf'ing (they are both level 3 and 4 med's). I contacted my LLL Leader and she found some alternative meds in Hale's book but when I told my friend about them she said they weren't the level of med's she needed to fix her problem. She is devestated by this news (her first child nursed happily for over a year) and add to that the fact that they are telling her she can never get pg again.

I told her that she would be able to get her son's Ped to prescribe her breastmilk donated through a milk bank. In the meantime she needs to put him on formula and is uncomfortable with what types she has to choose from for a couple of reasons. One is that we know that the FDA has not yet approved the DHA and ARA added into the newer formulas. They also only drink organic cow's milk and know that they don't use organic milk in baby formula. I told her that I know that there is organic formula available but don't know what brand, etc. to tell her about.

Does anyone have any experience with organic formula? Any other ideas or suggestions to pass along to her? I would love to be able to give her any kind of good news right now...she could really use it.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
well, i keep looking at this thread hoping somebody who's actually used the formula will have responded, but don't see any yet, so i'll chime in with the wee bit that i know. the name of the formula is "baby's own toddler formula". you can visit their website at www.organicformula.com . from what i've read on the boards here they had to call it a "toddler" formula rather than a baby formula due to red tape, but i dunno. i think if you do a search here you'll find more info.

to you and your friend. that must be awful. it's great she has a supportive friend like you around to help. i can't offer any other words of wisdom except if she's not happy with her care to seek a second opinion, but if she's a nurse she's probably got that covered. i'm sure her ds will do fine. certainly plenty of kids ( me, me ) grow up on formula, though i know that's small solace especially if they were hoping to have more kids later.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 03-16-2004, 08:30 PM

is she open to a goats milk supplement maybe?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM

I have no experience with it myself but I have learned recently that Horizon makes an organic formula. Here. I your friend all the best.
http://www.horizonorganic.com/produc...exinfform.html

Ginger

User Tag List