Do you keep formula on hand just in case? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never kept formula in the house and won't do it this time, but I always did have a giant freezer stash of EBM because I work outside the home and pump during the day. I started building a little stash by pumping every day or two once the babies were a week or two old, usually in the morning after a breastfeeding session so that there was some extra milk available. Once I went back to work, I would generally get a little extra every day and add that to the freezer.

I do recall having an awful time getting DS#1 to breastfeed (took about 3 months to really get the latch right and get rid of thrush) and going out on my porch to find a big box of formula that came in the mail sitting there like a message from God or something. Grrrr. I donated it so I wouldn't be tempted.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#62 of 71 Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Nope, we've never had formula in our house either. I don't see the point. If you are determined to breastfeed, then having it around it a bad I idea. Like many others, we did have a stash of BM in the freezer, but we rarely ever touched it.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#63 of 71 Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 AM

No, I keep a freezer stash on hand just in case.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#64 of 71 Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 AM

We have the free can. We kept it for natural disaster type scenario.

I really hope we never need it, for many reasons! I have over 100 ounces of EBM in the freezer too, so it's not likely to be necessary.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#65 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM

I keep the free can I get as a sample, it doesn't tempt me at all, so its no biggie to have it in the house.

When my son was 4 months old (6 years ago), my father suffered a heart attack and ended up having open heart surgery, and because my stepmother was out of the country, I was with him in the hospital for three days (7 to 7) and though I had bm frozen in the freezer, it wasn't a lot, so he did have to take a couple feedings of formula the first day while I pumped at the hospital. It happened so quickly that there wasn't enough time to get a bunch ready. I was upset about it, but my father needed me and he had no one else. Once I pumped that first day, we didn't have to touch any more formula, but it was a godsend to have some on hand.

my father ended up recovering :-)
#66 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 AM

I believe I have had formula in my house three times... and all three times they were samples sent to someone else in my circle of friends who weren't going to use it so they gave it to me to pass on it someone who was already formula feeding.

So the answer for me would be no. I don't keep drugs/medical supplies (which is how I view formula for me, I'd only use it in the presence of a medical condition) I am unlikely to ever need on hand, I will go and get them if and when they became necessary and otherwise there is no point.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#67 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM

This past Friday morning at 730 am I was nursing my 3 week old and at 9 am I was being transported by ambulance to the er. I kept a "just in case" formula sample, something never needed in 2 years of bfing my DS, in the pantry. As I was being rushed out the door I could tell my gf were it was. I had not started a freezer supple as we were having oversupply issues so pumping was not happening.

I am having to pump and dump now too so thank goodness I have another option.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
#68 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapi2help View Post

I am having to pump and dump now too so thank goodness I have another option.
Posted via Mobile Device
So sorry to hear of your emergency hospitalization! Just want to make sure that you know that it is very rare that moms need to pump and dump. Very few medications are not compatible with breastfeeding (radioactive treatments, chemotherapy, and lithium if baby is not being monitored are the few that I can think of off the top of my head.)

You may not have had time to check your medications with an IBCLC or Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk. If this is the case and you post here we can check for you. I'd hate for you to be pumping and dumping unnecessarily.

Feel better soon!
#69 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Nope, never have. I would be calling every nursing mother I know and asking them for help before using formula.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#70 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM

I am full of radioactive material and do not feel comfortable passing that one. I know and love hale.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
#71 of 71 Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapi2help View Post
I am full of radioactive material and do not feel comfortable passing that one. I know and love hale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page