Do you keep formula on hand just in case? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I was thinking that it might be wise to have some formula in the house in case of emegency. Does anyone else keep some on hand, and what kind do you keep? Should I ask my ped what kind is best? Are there any organic/natural types available?
Thanks in advance : )

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#2 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM

I have never kept formula on hand. My son wouldn't drink the stuff so it has been a non-issue for me though. They tried to give it to him in the NICU and he wouldn't drink it so they had to call me to come in and feed him. (They tried to take him off BM to see if it was making him sick)

I did always keep a stock of breast milk in the freezer though.
#3 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Nope. when I SAH I did have some EBM in the freezer just in case. now that I WOH and pump I have donated milk in there since I just don't pump enough to have excess.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM

I never did (bf'd my first for 4 years and my second nearly as long, worked PT out of the house for most of that). I did keep a stash of pumped breastmilk in the freezer, and we used that a few times -- like my very first day at work without dd with me, when she was 9 months old, and my car broke down on the way home!!
#5 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM

No. I pumped and had a stash of EBF frozen in the early months.

Now, if I were somehow hospitalized or otherwise totally incapacitated, DH having to run out and get a bucket of formula would be the least traumatic aspect of it!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#6 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM

no, in case of what? what kind of emergency are you imagining?
If your mean where you'll be separated from baby, then stock up the freezer with breastmilk.
If you mean an emergency where baby is sick, breastmilk is better for sick babies. I can't think of any other emergencies?

formula "on hand" is one of those booby traps that can catch you and destroy your nursing relationship when you're tired, or your supply is low b/c of a growth spurt, or your baby is cranky and MIL is in the house saying "maybe you don't make enough milk" etc.. it's not necessary to have it, and it's certainly "dangerous" to consider if you intend to breastfeed.

It's normal to worry, but my suggestion is to just stock up on breastmilk.

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.
#7 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 PM

Nope. None stored either. If I were unavailable to bf, DH could call in some friends to help out.

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#8 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Nope, we don't keep it in the house.

Our nursing path has been one full of joy, but there have also been some challenges. I like to think that I wouldn't turn to formula, but it sure does help not to have it as an option. We also have some formula friendly family who might want to "help". I guess I think of it as trying to eat healthy food, but keeping some junk convenience food in the cabinet 'just in case'.

With stores open 24 hours a day, if there ever was a true emergency that used up our freezer stash we could find some formula.
#9 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Always had it, never used it. I would get a free sample can in the mail and just keep it. DH preferred to have it since it meant no trip out of the house for him with wailing hungry newborn baby in tow if I should become very sick or be delayed by a traffic accident or something. I also had frozen breastmilk stocked when my babies were too young for solids.

I had two children who wouldn't touch formula under any cirucmstances when it was offered to them later in babyhood, and my youngest who is now drinking "toddler formula," yuck, becasue she is weaned from the breast, allergic/sensitive to cow milk and I have not found a single alternative that she will drink. In all three cases, though, that sample can eventually expired and was tossed, having never been used.

There are organic options, yes. But I wouldn't spend extra for organic if it's just the emergency backup plan that you will probably never use.
#10 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM

I had the dumb free sample I was sent still in the house and that was enough to call to me on the hardest nights.

I would never purposely have something I researched and picked out as 'best after breast' in the house. It would be too tempting to cave into and use on the hard nights where it would be so easy to give her to someone else with a bottle than just forge through it. It could potentially make breastfeeding harder and possibly unable to continue with altogether.

Its not a risk I personally would take knowing how hard things can be for me and how important breastfeeding is to me. I did start pumping at one month though to have a bit of a supply on hand.
#11 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artzy_fartzy68 View Post
If your mean where you'll be separated from baby, then stock up the freezer with breastmilk.
If you mean an emergency where baby is sick, breastmilk is better for sick babies. I can't think of any other emergencies?

formula "on hand" is one of those booby traps that can catch you and destroy your nursing relationship when you're tired, or your supply is low b/c of a growth spurt, or your baby is cranky and MIL is in the house saying "maybe you don't make enough milk" etc.. it's not necessary to have it, and it's certainly "dangerous" to consider if you intend to breastfeed.

I agree with all of this.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#12 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Nope - no formula here. If something awful were to happen to me my best friend would nurse my baby.
#13 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Yes to all of this! I have about a day's worth of pumped milk in my freezer, just in case.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#14 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM

I still have the formula they gave me at the hospital -- I don't really know why I'm saving it, except I guess for some kind of unforeseen emergency. Maybe I'm thinking if I have it (and resent it) then I won't ever have to use it -- kind of a more serious version of taking along an umbrella so that it won't rain.

Anyway, we've got 88 ounces of EBM in the freezer right now.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#15 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Yes, I did keep a supply of formula-the free samples, which was a total of like six cans.

DD was EBF for her first 3 months. And that was a STRUGGLE. AF returned right away, and she refused to nurse during AF. She lost weight, she was 4 months old before she even weighed 10lbs. We had to give her pumped milk in a bottle, because she simply wasn't taking enough in just from nursing, though we tried for a while.

Then, because of her refusal to nurse during AF (which was regular right away and lasted for over a week) my supply took a pretty big hit. I gave up the struggle at about 5 and a half months old. At that point, she had been sleeping through the night for quite a while (on her own) and I was still waking myself up once or twice a night to pump, and still couldn't get enough nursing and pumping to maintain my supply. (there were also PPD issues involved etc. ) Still, I did have enough in the freezer that she got pumped milk only for another month.

So while we did have that free sample stash, we didn't crack it until she was 6 months old and I was not nursing anymore at that point anyway.

I plan to keep a small supply this time as well, but I am going to pump from the beginning and hope that I don't have the refusal to nurse during AF this time around. I think if I can avoid the AF nursing strike, and start pumping after each session right away (I have to go back to work, so I have to pump anyway) that I can avoid the supply issue and won't need it. If I don't use it, I will just donate it to someone who does need it. Besides, if I am not paying for it anyway, I don't see a point in not keeping it in case I do have the same issues and need to go to formula at some point. The samples are good for like a year so...

ETA: I meant that she was only nursed from the breast for 3 months, then breast and bottles of pumped milk for another 2.5, then just pumped milk from my freezer stash, then formula around 6 months.

ETA2: I always had a bottle of pumped milk ready to go in the fridge if I had to have a family member watching her, so that if they felt like she was hungry, even if she had JUST nursed, they still had something ready to feed-an already prepped bottle takes less work than having to prepare a bottle from an unopened can of powdered formula
#16 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM

No. Unless all of the forces in the universe combine against you, I don't think you'll need it. Incidentally, one day my husband and I read the ingredients on the cans of formula at Whole Foods. We were absolutely astonished! Most of the "organic" formulas were loaded with high fructose corn syrup! I agree with the other moms that a stash of frozen milk can be a good idea. I don't do that right now because I'm with my son 24/7.

If you ever run into problems with breastfeeding there are several things you can do before resorting to formula, like checking for tongue-tie, getting the baby checked out by a pediatric chiropractor to see if there are jaw problems inhibiting latch, and (worse case scenario) finding a breastmilk donor. Formula is not necessary. I don't even keep disposable diapers on hand "just in case".

Not to offend anyone who has different beliefs than me (just using a metaphor!), but keeping things like formula on hand "just in case" seems like the same thing as sitting my son down when he's 12 and saying, "I want you to be chaste and save sex for marriage. But I don't think you can do it, so here's a condom." It's like planning on failure. The formula manufacturers of the world want you to believe that you need them. But you don't! Plan for success!!!!!

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#17 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM

We've kept the free samples, but not for us... it's actually for my in-laws. They *always* run out of formula when they visit, so we give them the samples so they aren't running out to the store at 3:00 am.....
It honestly never tempted me to use it, even in those difficult nights.....
~maddymama
#18 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 PM

No. But I was just thinking today that I should probably have a little bm in the freezer "just in case".

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#19 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM

No, I would not keep formula on hand.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#20 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM

no, never

Quite honestly, it never even crossed my mind as an option.

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#21 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yes and no...
There is one small sample can of formula stored way up high I'm the only one that knows its there and its not something I think about all the time...
I'm kinda the opposite of many I'm not one to reduce to using formula if its around but rather its an odd comfort knowing its there but I have no need for it.
DD doesn't even take a bottle anymore though so its kinda pointless anyways.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#22 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM

We live right across the street from a grocery store and a CVS, and the grocery store's 24 hours. If there were an emergency and I couldn't get to the baby and had no pumped milk (quite likely I wouldn't, I stink at pumping and have no desire to do so) my husband or whoever was watching the baby could go get some formula pretty easily. But I don't anticipate this situation.
#23 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM

nope, we don't have any here. wouldn't consider it. i have 3 bags in the freezer for just in case and i pump fresh milk if i am going to be gone.

Mama to three

#24 of 71 Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM

no. in the age of 24-hour grocery and drug stores, i figure in a true "emergency" we could get some.

hoping for a !
#25 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 AM

I always had the samples sent to me in the cupboard, but never needed them. For me it wasn't like the siren's song luring me. It was just there collecting dust.
#26 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM

No, I don't even have bottles. Dh knows that if I were incapacitated he is to contact my bf and have her come to the hospital to pump bm from me for the baby (oh, the things you think of once you have kids ). If I were to die, I am sure dh and bf would find someone to nurse the baby since they know it is so incredibly important to me.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#27 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM

I had the little free sample they sent home with you. I never opened/used it and did have a stash in the freezer for a "emergency" but I would keep the free stuff for their first yr "just in case" we had nursing issues. We did have issues with both kids and were able to work through them with a lot of work on our part ( nursing strike with DS and pitting edema on breasts and mastitis with DD2) and never cracked the canister.

We live 30 minutes away from the closest 24hr store and if we did have issues where formula was actually needed I didn't want to travel that long and them pay for it when I had some for free yk.

After they were 12 months I would give it away to someone who does use formula. Do I think my kids would have drank it? Heck no but I forgot about it so there it sat with DS and decided I would do the same thing with DD2.

I know some people who have it in their homes are "tempted" to use it when the going gets tough but that wasn't a issue for me. If I had another baby and they still gave out free formula I would do the same again. Would I go BUY a canister of it? Nope

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#28 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM

When DD was three weeks old I developed a clogged duct. It was so painful! Our LO was a marathon nurser, so she would eat every 30 minutes to 1.5 hours and every time she latched I thought I would pass out from the pain. The 2nd night of this I told DH to go to the store and pick up some formula in case we needed it. It was a completely emotional decision, I was a wreck. Luckily, I called my MW, she walked me through what to do and we got through it without having to use the formula.
I don't think I could have brought myself to use it and I don't think in the same situation I would do the same thing again. I was just a scared first time mama in lots of pain.

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#29 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 AM

No,we never did with DD (she's 2 now, so it's no longer relevant) and we don't plan to even with twins on the way. Once the twins come we will both be lactating, so if one of us were away or very sick hopefully the other could nurse. If we for some unforseen reason can't produce enough milk between us, we'll look into donated milk. If we can't work out then that would be the time to go get some formula. With DD (and only one lactating mama) I had a small supply of pumped milk in the freezer that someone could use if I were incapacitated unexpectedly. I was rarely away from DD in the first 9 months of her life though so it was unlikely that I would be delayed away from her. After that solids were an option if she was truly hungry.

I did have gallbladder surgery when she was 4mo and she lived on pumped milk for 10-12 hrs. However, I had about a week's notice for that one, so I just pumped about 8 bottles (she used 3 or 4). I was a good pumper though. If I was unable to pump, I could have bought formula at that point also.

I do know what kind of formula I would use and where I could purchase it (so does DP) if it were to come up. I can't imagine many circumstances where I wouldnt have time to get to the store.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#30 of 71 Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! I should've mentioned that the reason I've been worried about this is that I have no frozen reserves, and I feel a bit uneasy without that safety net, if I were to be hospitalized or suddenly need to go on medication or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
If I had another baby and they still gave out free formula I would do the same again. Would I go BUY a canister of it? Nope
I had cans of free samples with my first who was born in the hospital and never considered using them, even with a rough first 6 weeks of nursing. One reason I haven't just gone out and bought any is that I'm hesitant to give any money to formula companies. But, since my DD was born at home I don't have any samples.

Quote:
I don't understand how one goes about 'stocking up' though. It seems that I don't have any 'extra' milk. Do you just pump a little at a time and then freeze it when you fill a bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky85 View Post
No. Unless all of the forces in the universe combine against you, I don't think you'll need it.
Thank you for saying this. I'm prone to over-preparing and sometimes lose perspective on how rare these things are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky85 View Post
Incidentally, one day my husband and I read the ingredients on the cans of formula at Whole Foods. We were absolutely astonished! Most of the "organic" formulas were loaded with high fructose corn syrup!
Yuck.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page