Bottle Size for Breastfed Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm returning to work and trying to figure out what bottles to use. I know that in general, babies need 1-1.5oz per of breastmilk per hour they're away. My son currently eats about every 2-4 hours (rarely up to 4). So, am I ever going to actually need to use an 8 oz bottle? Or, will 5 oz bottles do? Will he actually need larger size bottles when he's older or not?
I have some 8 oz bottles that were given to me, but I'll try to exchange them if I'm not going to need them.
Thanks!

: 3/10
#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringmind View Post
I'm returning to work and trying to figure out what bottles to use. I know that in general, babies need 1-1.5oz per of breastmilk per hour they're away. My son currently eats about every 2-4 hours (rarely up to 4). So, am I ever going to actually need to use an 8 oz bottle? Or, will 5 oz bottles do? Will he actually need larger size bottles when he's older or not?
I have some 8 oz bottles that were given to me, but I'll try to exchange them if I'm not going to need them.
Thanks!
I went back to work when DD was 9 weeks, she's 11 months now and I'm still pumping. We've never needed the 8oz bottles- we have just the 5. She's never seemed to want more than 5oz. at a given time. We've never used anything other than the slow-flow nipples, either.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#3 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM

IMO, no, you never need 8oz bottles for a breastfed baby. One of the reasons I was so successful pumping and keeping up a large supple while working, I believe, is that I always kept his bottles 3.5/4oz, even up to 15 months when I stopped pumping. Formula needs increase as a baby grows, but breastmilk stays similar in quantity and changes in quality to make up for what the baby needs at that time. So I was also mindful that I wasn't constantly using freezer milk and that I was giving him fresh current milk most of the time.

I left 3 bottles a day home with him (each 3.5-4oz) and most days he didn't need the 3rd unless I was going to be a little later, so I'd roll it over into the next days. I was pumping more than this, so I always had some in the freezer and donated once a month to a local mom who adopted a preemie when I had well over my emergency supply. By giving less during the day they nurse so much more when you're together and your supply gets a boost. That being said, we nursed a lot during the night that first year to keep up my supply and that was a bit tiring. ;-) If you try to give a lot during the day then they aren't as hungry at night and your supply sinks.

Sorry if you know all this already and my long winded answer wasn't needed, but I really do believe some Moms have trouble pumping because they are giving too much during the day and mild reverse cycling makes things much easier.
#4 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Most EBF never take more than a 5 oz bottle. The average is 9 - 15 oz a day (medela). My bigger eater always took 3 5 oz bottles with nursing before and after work. He dropped one bottle at 11 months. He nursed a ton at night. I pumped much more than him but he would only "tolerate" that amount from a bottle. I donated a lot with him.

My little eater always took 3 4 oz bottles (with sometimes 5 oz in the morning and smaller in the day). She nurses some at night. I pump a lot less with her, she often doesn't nurse as often, and I suspect she probably drinks more from a bottle at 12m than she nurses when I am home. Viva the freezer stash! I probably won't donate with her as I am going to start rotating in the freezer stash more.

Personally, I don't think I would give a bottle bigger than 5 oz. You are unlikely to produce that in a single nursing session. Better to give more bottles that are smaller. Some babies do better with 4 bottles during the day of a smaller amount. And most babies never drink more as they get older. Solids make up the difference. Until a year, we are really careful that solids don't interfere with bm consumption.

Keep this article on hand for inspiration: The New York Times has a very bm research article today.

Also, I like the redesigned medela nipple and it super convenient for pumping/feeding to use the same bottles. We did switch around 10 months to the faster flow and it made her easier to feed, according to nanny and father. I never give bottles so I can't say.
#5 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM

I haven't ever used the 8 oz bottles for feeding. I use them for pumping on occasion, as my morning pumping session I am often able to get 7-8 oz of milk.

for feeding, we use the Dr. Brown's glass ones, which are really 3.5 oz, not even 4. and DS is 8 months old.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I nursed my 3 kids but with one of them I got sick and lost my supply prematurely. Even being a big baby, say ages 12-18 months, she never needed a larger bottle. We only ever had the 4oz ones.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#7 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks like I need to go try to trade my 8oz bottles to make room for the one's I'll use!

: 3/10
#8 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 PM

I pump at work 3 times a day for my little one (now 9 months old) and I never ever get more than 3 oz total per session. Usually more like 2, sometimes only 1. (This is combined, both breasts.) So the 3-4 bottles I leave for him are 2-3 oz bottles. I can't even fathom him having 5 oz at a sitting. The 4 oz bottles (really 5 all the way up to the top) are more than enough for us.
I am insanely jealous of you mamas who can pump 7oz at a shot! Wow!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#9 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Well, that is from both breasts combined, in the morning when hormone levels are higher. And it depends on how much DS night nursed.

Though I get upset if I get less than 4 oz a session, as I only pump twice a day, and need 8-10 oz to keep up with what DS eats. (but I like pumping extra to build my freezer stash)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#10 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM

My girl likes 5oz at a time, sometimes she doesn't eat it all, but we experimented with 3-5oz and 5oz works best for her. I think generally you can do ok with 5oz, I got 8oz bottles to make it easier to measure and store pumped milk, so you may want to keep them just for that. I guess I figured why not have the bigger bottle in case I want to put more in it for storage which I do all the time so I don't have lug as many bottle back and forth from work

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#11 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM

I use 9oz bottles for storing milk at work. Like a pp mentioned, it's easier to not have to lug as many bottles around. I have a ton of 9oz bottles, though, so I do fequently send her 4oz of milk in a 9 oz bottle

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page