Mothering Forum banner

Any experiences of Muslim mamas fasting during Ramadan?

862 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  curious&eager 
#1 ·
Breastfeeding mamas are not under obligation to fast Ramadan, but I know that some like to.

Only a little research has been done into this, so there is not much evidence-based information out there as to the possible effect on supply of not eating or drinking during daylight hours. I was wondering if anyone had fasted some or all of Ramadan, and what effect (if any) it had on your supply or your little one's nursing behaviour.

#2 ·
I was nursing an exclusively breastfed baby two Ramadans ago ... I found through a little trial and error that I could fast two out of every three days with no impact upon my supply, so that's what I did. By the third day my body apparently needed a rest. When I tried fasting beyond two days at a time I could feel the difference, and my son was trying to nurse longer than usual.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Liquesce, and Ramadan Kareem! I am very interested in this as I am a breastfeeding counsellor in a predominantly Muslim area (although I am not Muslim). Since there is little research into this, mums' experiences are very helpful in helping me gain insights. There is a study due to be carried out during Ramadan this year which might also be helpful to nursing mamas in the future as they decide how to approach fasting.

#4 ·
Is fasting even allowed? In my religion, pregnant and nursing mothers are specifically NOT to fast, and I'd thought that was the same with Islam.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heba View Post
Thanks for your reply, Liquesce, and Ramadan Kareem! I am very interested in this as I am a breastfeeding counsellor in a predominantly Muslim area (although I am not Muslim). Since there is little research into this, mums' experiences are very helpful in helping me gain insights. There is a study due to be carried out during Ramadan this year which might also be helpful to nursing mamas in the future as they decide how to approach fasting.
You might want to ask in the Spirituality subforum.
There are a fair number of Muslim women on this board who appear more there than here.

And CorasMama~ Yes, it's allowed. It's basically a matter of discretion ... if there's reason to believe it will harm the child or the mother's health it's not, but it is not assumed by default that it will be harmful. As in most matters of health the advice usually comes down to personal experience and/or medical advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.