Top teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD's top teeth are coming in and I've noticed that nursing has become a bit painful, like they are scraping against my areola. Any tips for how to minimize this? Will it stop? I realize some of it is because she's nursing alot more because of the pain. But it kind of hurts and my nips are looking kind of raw.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt the same way when my DD's top teeth came in (though ti was a welcome change to what happened when the bottom ones came in...) I think the teeth kinda changes the way they have to latch, since there's something there that wasn't there before, y'know? I found it resolved itself in a couple weeks.

I just gave teething tablets before every nursing, and baby Advil if they really seemed to be bugging her

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 PM

They are probably rubbing their gums on you a bit because it feels good. Do you have things for them to gnaw on?

It will probably stop once those teeth are in but I would delatch each time they do it and relatch, or delatch and give them something to chew on. It really hurts and you could start getting upset about nursing if it continues.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM

I noticed with my DD that every time a new tooth came in, her latch would change and be a little uncomfortable but then adjust in a week or two. However, when she bit me (I think accidentally) I couldn't help it, I said OW! really loudly and she jumped and that never happened again, lol. If she actually bites you, I would take her off and maybe say OW so she understands it hurts.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My son's top incisors erupted about two months ago. Ever since then his initial latch is a bit uncomfortable but once he is 'latched on' there is no discomfort.

User Tag List