how long does it take to increase milk supply - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for your body to respond and increase supply if you LO is nursing more often. I'm trying to get my supply up ( seems to have dwindled inexplicably at 4months) so have been getting my DD to suck as much as she can. At what point should I be concerned that there is a supply issue if things don't increase. A week? 2 weeks?

TIA
#2 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Usually 2-3 days of a growth spurt nursing frenzie will bump up your supply.

What is it that has you thinking your supply has decreased?

4 months is a common time for moms to think that their supply has dropped, when it actually hasn't. Baby nurses more distractedly, less often and for a shorter time (all normal) and will wake more often to nurse at night (also normal). Also mom's breasts no longer feel full and often she doesn't feel let down. Also normal.

Best way to judge your supply if baby is exclusively breastfeeding is to look at baby's output and weight gain. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Hope that helps - and hope your supply is fine!
#3 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response. What you described as happening is exactly what I'm going through. I'm glad to know its all normal. She has loads of poopy and pee diapers. I'm just a paranoid first time mom. Before when I would get full and leak it was much more reassuring that I obviously had enough milk. And when she would feed and I could so obviously tell that she was getting milk because I could feel myself go from full to empty. Now my boobs aren't changing that drastically and I'm not leaking anymore. I guess its just another lesson in letting go and trusting that she knows what she needs. All I have to do is stay in tune to her, follow her cues and be there for her every step of the way.

I'm so glad that I'm breastfeeding because its providing me with so many lessons about mothering in general.
#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM

If baby is having pee and poo dipes you're doing just what you should be doing.
Beer/brewer's yeast does support milk supply and I have, a few times throughout my many years of bf'ing, taken to this method of giving myself a little "boost" as precautionary measure. Again, if you're seeing pee and poo dipes on a regular basis you're doing just as you should be.
#5 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbb View Post
I guess its just another lesson in letting go and trusting that she knows what she needs. All I have to do is stay in tune to her, follow her cues and be there for her every step of the way.
So true!
#6 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbb View Post
I'm so glad that I'm breastfeeding because its providing me with so many lessons about mothering in general.
isn't it awesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page