Nipple Ointments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am determined to breast feed, and I have heard that Lansinoh is something that helps relieve nipple soreness, prevents scabbing, soothes irritation from sensitive nipples rubbing on clothing... etc.

However I am horribly allergic to it. I am allergic to wool and lanolin (which is the main ingredient in Lansinoh) and probably anything else related to sheep or any other wool-bearing animals.

I'm wondering are there any other nipple ointments out there that would be safe to use? Do you have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM

Yes! I'm vegan and so we don't use anything containing wool/lanolin, and I swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter:

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/na...le-butter.html

It's good for putting on scrapes and cuts and stuff, too. We always keep a couple pots around the house, even when I don't need it for BFing.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM

I can't wear wool and was utterly convinced that I was allergic to lanolin due to previous reactions to lanolin containing substances. But, it turned out I could use Lansinoh without an issue. It's highly refined which apparently makes a difference.

I was able to get a sample size tube from my midwife, would this be an option rather than buying a full size tube? Or perhaps scrounge a bit from a friend? The website might also do free samples?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

I like the Medela nipple ointment WAY better than Lansinoh.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Yes! I'm vegan and so we don't use anything containing wool/lanolin, and I swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter:

It's good for putting on scrapes and cuts and stuff, too. We always keep a couple pots around the house, even when I don't need it for BFing.
I second this. I'm not vegan, but I love this stuff sooooo much more than Lansinoh. It's smooth instead of tacky and smells so good. If you look in the I'm Pregnant forum, there's actually a thread that has links to a great sale right now, too!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Found it for you.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1257215

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:

This worked well for me too.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 09-02-2010, 03:48 AM

Yeah, Earth Mama and Motherlove are organic food-grade non-lanolin. Very good options.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
I can't wear wool and was utterly convinced that I was allergic to lanolin due to previous reactions to lanolin containing substances. But, it turned out I could use Lansinoh without an issue. It's highly refined which apparently makes a difference.

I was able to get a sample size tube from my midwife, would this be an option rather than buying a full size tube? Or perhaps scrounge a bit from a friend? The website might also do free samples?
I already know I'm allergic to lanolin. I used a shaving cream that had it once and I got a horrible rash all over my legs.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:

I used this, too, and it was fantastic and it smells so yummy.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
I like the Medela nipple ointment WAY better than Lansinoh.
It still has lanolin in it. : ( Rashy nipples are a bad thing, especially when they're sore and sensative.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll definately give the Earth Momma stuff a shot.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Again, try the Earth Mama Angel Baby. No lanolin, we promise.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 AM

I really liked the nipple butter by "the first years". I found it at babies r us, it was about 8 bucks, and it worked for me. DS didn't mind the taste. I hated lasinoh, my nipples were so sore it hurt to put it on because it was so thick. This stuff is very smooth and goes on easily. My nipples healed very quickly after using it only once a day and after showers.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercheval View Post
I am determined to breast feed, and I have heard that Lansinoh is something that helps relieve nipple soreness, prevents scabbing, soothes irritation from sensitive nipples rubbing on clothing... etc.

However I am horribly allergic to it. I am allergic to wool and lanolin (which is the main ingredient in Lansinoh) and probably anything else related to sheep or any other wool-bearing animals.

I'm wondering are there any other nipple ointments out there that would be safe to use? Do you have any recommendations?
it's a great idea to get all prepared for breastfeeding and apart from the great recommendations for the nipple creams, can i recommend that you go to a LLL meeting and get the fantastic new edition of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - such a joy to read and inspirational for any new mother wanting to nurse.

Good luck - and sorry to have butted in!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

Tags
Earth Mama Body Butter 8oz , Earth Mama Body Butter 4oz , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby Labor Ease Massage Oil 30 Ml Oil , Earth Mama Angel Baby Postpartum Recovery Bath Herbs , Earth Mama Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby C Mama Healing Salve , Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby
User Tag List