EP for older baby--how much breastmilk for 12 mth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby just turned 1 yr yesterday and he has been getting donated breastmilk because I had to wean at 9 mths since I got cancer and started chemo. I could only get about 90 oz of my own milk pumped before I started treatment. I have a deep freezer of breastmilk, I am actually too scared to go out and actually count it up to see how much is left though. Anyway, when I first weaned him to the donor milk he was taking 40 oz in 24 hrs and then finally around 11mths it went down to 30 oz in 24 hrs with me pushing the solids. He now is eating really well and I feel like I need to save and conserve the breastmilk so I can make it as along as possible so he can be older and still have breastmilk. With my other children I nursed at least to age 3 yr or longer. So the question is for those who exclusive pump how much breastmilk does your 12 mth and older baby get in 24 hrs? I am not sure how little breastmilk I can get away with giving him. I don't want to give cows milk, or formula or soy milk. He does take a little water about 2 oz a day. For us he doesn't take a pacifier despite me still trying and I know he drinks the breastmilk for the sucking that I know he needs. We still use a newborn nipple so it will come out slow. I still give 1-2 bottles in the middle of the night. Yesterday I wrote down how much I gave him and really pushed solids and even trying to delay giving the bottle. (that broke my heart because I really wish I could just give him as much as he wants!). So yesterday in 24 hr I got him to take 21 oz.

I would love to hear about other moms still giving breastmilk to their older baby and how they do it.

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM

at that age, my ds drank 6oz/3 hours from 7am to 6pm. he sttn and only sometimes woke for a night bottle

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#3 of 3 Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM

I think your estimates seem perfectly on track! From kellymom:
Quote:
Several studies have measured breastmilk intake for babies between 12 and 24 months and found typical amounts to be 14-19 oz per day (400-550 mL per day). Studies looking at breastmilk intake between 24 and 36 months have found typical amounts to be 10-12 oz per day (300-360 mL per day).
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page