buying a breast pump - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looking for some insight...
I have a chance to buy a hospital grade pump for a very good price(cheaper then most pumps at the store) but it is 6 years old. I don't really pump now bc i have a hand pump that i hate using and i'm a sahm anyway. But i'd love to have a freezer stash and i plan on having more children so i think it would be worth it...
But i don't know if i should be worried bc the pump is 6 years old? And when i go to look at it is there specific things to look for/at ?
thanks for your help

Christine:: wonderful DH and precious DD(2/10)::
#2 of 3 Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 AM

My feeling is that a breast pump that is six years old is not worth buying unless you have to pump and have no other option. Unless it is a proper hospital grade hire pump, it is likely that the motor will not be working properly or will have very little life left in it. There are also some concerns about using second-hand breast pumps. You might like to read these articles before you decide whether to even consider buying the pump: Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider and Used Breast Pumps.

Have you considered learning to express breast milk manually? You can watch a video on this here. It is something that can be useful, even after the first few days and weeks.

Mama to DS1 and DS2
#3 of 3 Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM

Would they let you test it? Hospital grade pumps are used by multiple people with different kits, so if you have a kit, that should be just fine hygiene-wise.

Are you getting it at a medical surplus sale? (I'm imagining that 6 years is maybe just how long they keep one of these in a lactation room at the hospital.)

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page