7 month old not nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to worry...
The last 2 maybe 3 days my dd(7 mos) has not been nursing nearly as much(maybe 4-5 times) and a lot of times she nurses only for 5 minutes and is done. She had been nursing every hour and a half to 2 hours at night but now it's only 2 or 3 times at night also.
We started solid but she mostly just plays, the most she has ever eaten is about 2 oz. normally it is only an ounce. And thats only once a day.
Other then this she is happy and sleeping well and having enough diapers wet/poopy.
So the questions are: Is this normal? What should i do?
Thanks so much

Christine:: wonderful DH and precious DD(2/10)::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Perhaps your DD is teething... DS always nurses less when he's getting a new tooth, but later returns to his normal nursing sessions.
#3 of 5 Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 AM

At 7 months this is a nursing strike. See here for more info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

keep offering, Mama!

nak

ETA: Sorry first post was so short - nursing and typing at the same time doesn't work well for me!

Offering often, in a calm, dark room may help. Also offering in a new position may help too! (sitting up, or lying down, or in the bath etc.) With good poops and pees you know she is getting enough to keep her hydrated, and at 7 months she is probably more efficient too, but increasing the number of nursing will help her to keep nursing as long as she needs to.

Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help ladies! I'll just keep offering and we'll get through it

Christine:: wonderful DH and precious DD(2/10)::
#5 of 5 Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I could have written this post! (DD is same age!). I am glad to hear that this is the new "normal" for someone else. My question is should I back off the solids? We are offering her a fruit or veggie mid-morning (doesn't eat much, about 2 oz.) and then cereal with breast milk in the early evening. Would she be more inclined to nurse more if we cut back the solids?

Side note. . .she is cutting her first two bottom teeth, so maybe she will resume normal nursing patterns when the tooth is up? Or perhaps babies at this age are just more efficient and need to nurse less?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page