shipping BM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have experience overnight shipping expressed BM home to baby while traveling? I know it's possible, but a little overwhelmed at the whole process. Looking for advice on the best carrier.... and tips for best transport, best way to keep it cold, etc.
Thanks mommas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM

I shipped milk from TN to CA overnight when I was donating.
I used a standard styrofoam cooler that I bought at the supermarket. I used 5 lbs of dry ice. Put half the broken up dry ice in the bottom of the cooler and cover with newspaper, then put in the frozen bags of milk, then more newspaper, then the remainder of the dry ice. I'd then wrap the cooler with packing tape to close it. I'd take that to UPS and they'd put it inside a cardboard box and pad it and seal it and off it would go.
I don't know how that would work with fresh milk. I guess the dry ice would keep it cold, but I'd worry about it leaking and spilling.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Yep, this is exactly what I've done. I sent 40 lbs. from FL to CA overnight and it did just fine. I used cardboard instead of newspaper and wrapped the cooler in duct tape. You'll probably have to take it to a FedEX or UPS transport location (like a hub instead of a UPS store) and get a special sticker (I'm thinking it was like a biohazard sticker, but now I can't remember).

If you're storing fresh instead of frozen, I would double bag it. Remember not to let the dry ice touch the milk bags, because it can burn through.

User Tag List