Exclusively pumping - yeouch! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I delivered a surrogate baby 4 weeks ago. He lives in another state and since he left (at 3 days), I've been pumping and donating to a milk bank. My nipples are still WAY sore-- like don't-hug-me and showers-are-evil sore. What's the deal? And is there hope in sight?

Background: I've been a heavy pumper in the past. My breasts are hypoplastic, so I have low supply, which has necessitated lots of quality time with the pump. With my second baby, I did the weigh-nurse-weigh-pump-feed routine for months and then pumped when I went back to work. No problems. Pumped with my first too (I nursed both babies too, in case that's not obvious). I never had any soreness beyond the first couple of days (or maybe weeks-- I don't remember-- but not like this!).

Now: I'm pumping every four hours, but skipping the one overnight. I use a Medela Classic (hospital-grade) at home and a PIS Advanced at work. My breasts are not sore, just the nipples. The breastsheilds I'm using are the standard size, which I feel pretty confident is correct. I use the lowest suction on the Classic and middle/high on the PISA (a similar level to low on the Classic). I'm getting about 22 oz/day total.

The area around my nipple is light pink-- you can tell it's sore or healing or something. And I guess most accurately, it's that area immediately surrounding the nipples (not the whole aereola) that's the most sore-- though the actual nipples are sore too, I think. Ow. I had a couple of cracks immediately after the birth (within the first week), but they healed and there's nothing obviously wrong now.

I really don't want to pay to go to an LC when I'm only pumping to donate. Anything you can think of for me to try? My midwife suggested using olive oil to lube, but that didn't help. I know the other option is to just stop pumping, but after all the supply battles in the past and having to rely on donated milk myself, it's been so awesome to be able to "pay it forward," so to speak. I'd really like to keep it up for at least a few more weeks-- ideally, for a couple of months.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM

It sounds like you might have thrush. You can read more about thrush and breastfeeding in this FAQ on thrush. You may need an anti fungal ointment for your nipples. Some mothers prefer gentian violet. Depending on how the milk bank treats the milk you donate, you may have to also tell them if you think you may have thrush. You can read more about thrush and expressed milk here.

Mama to DS1 and DS2
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't know if you'd want to invest in them if you're only doing this for a couple more months, but my Ameda has flexishields, which are a soft, silicon insert that helps stimulate the nipple without drawing so much of it into the flange. I've found it a lot more comfortable, and better comfort means more milk! Medela has this, which looks like it might kinda be the same thing, but hopefully someone more familiar with their line will help.

And YAY YOU for paying it forward!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

User Tag List