Has anyone ever successfully evened themselves back out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4mo DD seriously prefers my right side, plus I've gotten mastitis twice on my left side, plus other left-side issues at the beginning, all leading to me being seriously lopsided. Also, when I pump, my left side is the slacker side that only produces 1/2 oz to 1 ounce, even if my right produces 2-4.

I always offer the left side first, except for some night feedings, but I don't think it's done much good evening them out size-wise. Before I start a pumping regimin to hopefully boost production on the left, I just wanted some reasurrance/confirmation that it would be possible to make some progress. If you did manage to even yourself back out, how did you do it?

This bothers me a lot more than I thought it would. (And I also kind of resent that I powered through when I really wanted just to give up on the left side altogether, and this is still the result.)

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm in your situation exactly, and unfortunately have no advice. I'm currently breastfeeding my third (also 4 months) and am exactly as lopsided as you, on the right side. The bad news? I've been that way breastfeeding my ds and my other dd as well. Good news? It seems to go back to normal after weaning.

I have tried everything as well, offering the other breast more frequently, etc. I came to the conclusion that my right just seems to produce much more milk. The difference is quite significant, my girlfriends joke about it actually, lol (I"m not offended).

I wish I had better advice for you.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#3 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM

I am totally lopsided too but it's my fault. I am left handed and I always defer to nursing on right side so that I can use my left arm and hand to multitask! I have tried to even it out without any luck, but when my milk dried up during my third pregnancy they did go back to normal. So I am reassured that I won't be lopsided forever.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#4 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, my, you ladies are not making me feel confident about this!

I don't really have the time/energy to try to boost production by power pumping (I currently just pump once a day) on the slacker side if it's not going to make much difference! (And I guess I'm not 100% positive that it would even out the sizes if I were able to boost production ...)

Nobody? I just have to wait it out?

I read on one of the other threads that the lopsidedness was just another "badge of motherhood"

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Mine have been like that since I had my oldest about 10 years ago. They are not completely even yet but yes, they are starting to even out finally with my youngest baby. Not sure why, I think I am just trying to nurse her more on the smaller side than I was previously.

#6 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM

before 2 months ago, i would have said it's not possible. but i think i just evened myself out.
for the last two months dd has been waking frequently at night (after sleeping 10+ hrs straight a night before, *sigh*) and at first i was offering alternating sides when she woke but then i wasn't able to pump enough from my rock star boob during the day. so i just offered the slacker boob because i knew she needed it more for comfort at night and not a ton of milk. i "saved" my good boob for the first pump of the day while she nursed on the other side. all that night nursing really boosted my supply in the slacker.

two months later i'm pumping about the same from each side. i don't know if it will stay like that if she stops nursing so frequently at night, but we'll see.

Breastfeeding nerd. ttc #2!
#7 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm right there with you. My rock star boob is my left one, and the right one is the wimpy one.

They were already lopsided before I gave birth. Plus my rib cage curves in on that side slightly. And now it's horrible. If I wear a thin bra I have to shove at least 4 cloth pads into that side, and just one thin cloth pad on the left.

The right one under produces, too. At the first morning pump at work I can get 4-5 ounces from lefty, but only around 1.5-2 ounces from righty.

DD also seems to prefer lefty, though I do try to nurse on the right side at night as much as possible.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#8 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Ok, I'll be honest. I was lobsided before birth and way worse when nursing. I did everything I was supposed to do, and nothing evened out.

But then, I had another baby! I don't know if she naturally preferred the other side or if I encouraged that a bit, but lo and behold I'm definitely more even now!! I don't know what I will look like after we stop nursing, but for now anyway I have 2 much better matched breasts.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#9 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
Ok, I'll be honest. I was lobsided before birth and way worse when nursing. I did everything I was supposed to do, and nothing evened out.

But then, I had another baby! I don't know if she naturally preferred the other side or if I encouraged that a bit, but lo and behold I'm definitely more even now!! I don't know what I will look like after we stop nursing, but for now anyway I have 2 much better matched breasts.
Okay. So, have another baby is the solution. I'll be sure to let DH know that!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page