Breastmlk Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 80oz of frozen milk that I can't use as my DD is dairy sensitive and it was from before I figured that out. I need to figure out a use for it since it will expire in the next month or so. I tried giving it to my (formerly breastfed) 2 year old as chocolate milk and she said it was yucky

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas on how I can disguise this and sneak it into her diet? I will try a smoothie this weekend and see how that goes.

I do not want to waste this!! I am a formerly low supply momma so this unusable milk in my fridge is making me crazy!

Thanks!

**I tried putting it on milkshare and no on wanted it because I take levothyroxine for my hypothyroid.
#2 of 10 Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Pudding.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 AM

Soap?

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#4 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've always wondered if you could just substitute BM for cow's milk in recipes. I guess if it worked you'd want to bake something sweet with it as it's so naturally sweet. Why not just try to use it for cookies or cake or something like that?

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes I think you can just sub for cows milk. hmm... you could put it in muffins, or make yogurt with it. or pancakes...

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 AM

I remember reading in Mothering Magazine where there is certain culture where the adults still love breastmilk and if some is left in the fridge someone always drinks it up or they even put it in their coffee. So go for it! Smoothies or baked goods sound fine to me!

I had pumped extra for when I would leave DD with DH but she wanted nothing to do with it if it wasn't from me. So I kept it a lot longer than I should have because I felt terrible throwing it away and that was only 16 oz!

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#7 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Any way you could donate it? I don't know if that's possible or what you want to do but I was just asking.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#8 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas--would cooking it though remove the health properties? I mainly want to get it to my 2 year old to help her through the winter months and admittedly, as much of a lactivist as I am, the thought of drinking/eating my own milk kind of give me the eeby jeeby's! I will taste it to make sure it is ok but haven't done much beyond that!

Young Frankenstein--I would totally donate but there are no takers on MilkShare, I believe because I am on levothyroxine for my hypothyroid. This is a bf'ing friendly drug but I think that people are put off by that. I have it on milkshare right now.
#9 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 AM

I was just asking....I know there is someone here who was looking.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#10 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post
Great ideas--would cooking it though remove the health properties? I mainly want to get it to my 2 year old to help her through the winter months and admittedly, as much of a lactivist as I am, the thought of drinking/eating my own milk kind of give me the eeby jeeby's! I will taste it to make sure it is ok but haven't done much beyond that!

Young Frankenstein--I would totally donate but there are no takers on MilkShare, I believe because I am on levothyroxine for my hypothyroid. This is a bf'ing friendly drug but I think that people are put off by that. I have it on milkshare right now.
So... Hmbana and the like pasteurize previously frozen bm milk (heat it to 140-160) for a certain amount of time, and then let it cool again. Apparently it*still* retains enough good quality and antibodies to make a significant difference in the health of the babies they cater too. So I would say yes. Also, you would still have the nutritional benefits of the composition of breastmilk. I'm sure it would be better uncooked, (maybe try heavily flavored ice cream?) but I think cooked would still benefit your odd.

Finally, as a mama who has dealt with low supply, there's nothing wrong in wanting to keep that milk for your kiddo. Lord knows there have been nights that I've wished for my donated milk back when I had to supplement for my son.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page