Best bottle for EBF baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title says it all. I am thinking about going back to work when he is 6 months old, and his father would like to feed him sometimes... We have the firstyears breastflow bottle, and he is NOT a fan, so if there is a bottle you liked and your baby approved of that will not compromise our EBF relationship, please share!

TIA!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM

I introduced the bottle around 6 wks and she gave us a hard time! I first tried the Avent bottles. She ate once from that and no more! Then I tried the Gerber Nuks and she loved it! It really looks like a nipple!

DD born 7/19/10, DS due 3/12/12

Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM

We started bottle feeding when I went back to work--she was 5 months old. Because breast-feeding was well-established and she was older, I didn't worry about fancy bottles, colic, gas, etc. So, we just use the basic plastic Evenflo bottles... cheapest ones at Babies R Us!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 PM

the breastflow bottle didn't work for us either. from 3-6 months we used the bottle that came with my evenflo pump, that was the only one she would take well. from about 9-15 months she used the avent ones. (yes there's a gap there, I was a SAHM for 3 months between finishing college and starting work). you're going to have to experiment a little to see what works for you because different babies will have different preferences (and those can change as they get older).

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 AM

Our baby likes the Playtex with drop-ins--she wouldn't use the Avent.

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 AM

My 7month old son used to take a normal shaped teat as a newborn when he was on top ups, but from about 4 months onwards he only takes TommeeTippee 'Closer to nature' bottles and teats, as they are close to the nipple shape.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM

We use BornFree and he goes back and forth pretty well. We are still using the slow flow nipples, too.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 AM

We used Dr. Browns glass bottles. Introduced around 2 weeks by recommendation of Lactation Concultant as DD had a strong suck. DD had no problems taking the bottle...even took it from me! I do use a shield and occasionally am able to get a good latch without...hoping to wean of that though! Maybe it makes it easier to go back and forth?

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Ds liked Avent. Dd likes Breastflow. I think it's different for different babies.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 AM

DS2 started taking EBF bottles around 2 mos. - we started with Playtex drop-ins and he was fine with them. No problems going back and forth.

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 AM

sort of along the same lines here- I would like to know how to get baby to take a bottle! LOL. Any tips? DD is 8 mos

User Tag List