changing feeding pattern/engorgement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies.
I have a 2-and-a-half week old, born at 35 weeks 6 days(so technically late preterm).
We're just hitting a couple of bumps while she tries to establish a feeding pattern, wondering if anybody might have some advice for me.

Just for some background in case it matters-the consultants in the hospital had me pumping after every feeding and offering her my expressed milk every time, again I suppose because she was early and they were looking to protect my supply. She did go down in weight by 10 percent by day four, but that day my milk came in and she began gaining immediately. She very rarely took the expressed milk, so I began freezing it, and weaning from the pumping as soon as was advised, since I was really producing far more than I needed.

I had maybe 4 days of comfort after engorgement had passed, but then she began changing her pattern. She started eating very little in the morning and afternoon, with 2 or more feedings lasting 10 minutes or even less, even with me doing breast compressions. But then she'd cluster feed like crazy in the evenings and sometimes overnight. We saw her ped on Monday and she is exceeding weight gain expectations(at 2 weeks she was 8 oz up over her birth weight) and she pees and poops like crazy, so I know she is getting plenty of milk. But when she eats so little during the day, I am starting to have engorgement problems again, and even today-when she essentially has cluster fed the entire day, I have been uncomfortable all day.

Is it just my body still needing to adjust? I assume somehow my body will sort it out and be able to adjust even to such a varied feeding schedule? I am quite hesitant to pump for relief-for one, I don't want to increase my supply, and also with all the initial pumping, I have close to 50 oz in my freezer and am running out of storage space. Thank you for reading and for any suggestions!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page