please tell me BFing my newborn is more than enough birth control - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry, OP, it's not. Otherwise I'd have far fewer children.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Sorry, OP, it's not. Otherwise I'd have far fewer children.
You got pregnant when you were abstaining? Or, are you not capable of abstaining?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
You got pregnant when you were abstaining? Or, are you not capable of abstaining?
She was answering the OP's post, not yours. LOL!

heehee, this cracked me up for some reason.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
She was answering the OP's post, not yours. LOL!

heehee, this cracked me up for some reason.
Oops! I was being sarcastic anyway.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Oops! I was being sarcastic anyway.
Yeah OP= Original Poster. I was EBF my daughter and hadn't gotten my period yet and using the pull out method and still conceived #2! Not abstaining but enough that makes me doubt using BFing as a reliable source of birth control.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Ecological Breastfeeding is a method of baby care that usually involves not getting your period back and can be combined with Natural Family Planning (fertility awareness) if needed to raise its effectiveness as a family planning method.
I thought Ecological Breastfeeding went beyond LAM, so I checked here: (PDF).

Indeed it does, and would seem to me to be much more likely to prevent the return of menses:
Quote:
The Seven Standards: Phase 1 of Ecological Breastfeeding
This phase almost invariably produces natural infertility as long as the program is complete.
1. Breastfeed exclusively for the first six months of life; don’t use other liquids and solids, not even water.
2. Pacify or comfort your baby at your breasts.
3. Don’t use bottles and don’t use pacifiers.
4. Sleep with your baby for night feedings.
5. Sleep with your baby for a daily-nap feeding.
6. Nurse frequently day and night, and avoid schedules.
7. Avoid any practice that restricts nursing or separates you from your baby.
Phase 1 is the time of exclusive breastfeeding and thus usually lasts six to eight months.
There is also a phase two, if anyone is interested.

Sleeping with baby (night and day) is the biggest difference to me, and probably where many of us "fail" in terms of using "breastfeeding as birth control". I'm sure there is more in depth info out there - I wonder how much napping with baby is necessary. Two month olds get an incredible amount of sleep. I don't even know if I could keep up (hypothetically speaking, if I didn't have other children to care for).
Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaniliaz View Post

Indeed it does, and would seem to me to be much more likely to prevent the return of menses:

There is also a phase two, if anyone is interested.

Sleeping with baby (night and day) is the biggest difference to me, and probably where many of us "fail" in terms of using "breastfeeding as birth control". I'm sure there is more in depth info out there - I wonder how much napping with baby is necessary. Two month olds get an incredible amount of sleep. I don't even know if I could keep up (hypothetically speaking, if I didn't have other children to care for).
Phase I states "a daily nap-feeding". That doesn't sound like sleeping every single time the newborn sleeps.
FWIW...I followed the standards for all of my children. The return of menses was not on the same schedule for each child, as did two of my earlier listed cases, so I wonder about the study. We are not all genetically related, although our husbands are brothers. We do joke about their super fertile genetics though.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 10-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Abstinence is the only 100% safe method if you don't want another right now. Anything else, there's a risk of failure, no matter how careful you are.
I know. I'm just saying you have to pick your level of comfort and that is ours right now. DH just got snipped a few weeks ago so hopefully after a couple of "clean samples" we can not have to worry about it at all.

Frankly, (don't throw anything at me) I'd hate to have to follow all of those "rules" rather than just use a darn condom but that's just me....

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
using the pull out method and still conceived #2!
Come on! We learned that method was a myth during middle school family living class!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
Come on! We learned that method was a myth during middle school family living class!
It was one of several methods used at once like I said.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Hang in there. Keep us posted if you find anything out.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was fertile fairly early on and would never dream of using EBFing as a form of birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post
I'm one of the 2% for whom ANY amount of bfding is not enough birth control....
I don't necessarily agree with that statistic, but I agree, if you're fertile, you're fertile and no amount of BFing is enough in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
...When I read the thread title, I starting screaming "Nooooooo".

If I truly didn't want any chance of pregnancy (other than practicing abstinence) I would not risk having un-protected sex....
to all of the above.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM

This has been such an interesting thread to read! I really feel like I've learned a ton.

But I think the answer to OP's question is pretty basic. NO, it is not enough birth control, let alone "more than enough"

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
But I think the answer to OP's question is pretty basic. NO, it is not enough birth control, let alone "more than enough"
It's more complicated than that. Most people define "enough" birth control as whatever it takes to keep them from getting pregnant. EBFing a newborn does keep many women from getting pregnant and is therefore "enough" birth control for them. On the other hand, abstinence is the only form of birth control that is "enough" to keep every woman from getting pregnant. For the rest, it is a matter of probability, both for getting pregnant and avoiding pregnancy.

The probabilities required to be "enough" for one couple may or may not be "enough" for another couple. One couple may be trying to figure out if they should have another kid now or not, and a reasonably high probability of pregnancy may be acceptable. Another woman may be undergoing treatment for cancer and may need a pretty much nil chance of pregnancy. The effectiveness of LAM in postponing pregnancy may be debatable, but it does have a certain probability of effectiveness, and whether or not it is "enough" for the OP is really a subjective question.

It's really a myth in our society that you do xyz and you are "covered." It is "enough." You "shouldn't" get pregnant. That's not the way it works. If you choose a method of birth control that is 99% effective, that means you have a 1% chance of getting pregnant this year. If you use it for 10 years, you'll have almost a 10% chance of getting pregnant. That means that about 1 out of 10 women who use it for 10 years will end up pregnant. Those are reasonably high odds that for long term use, most of the commonly used methods of birth control will allow you to have at least one unplanned pregnancy. You should know this every time you choose to have sex. You can stack the odds in your favor, but if you choose to have sex, you choose to face whatever probability that you could become pregnant.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 PM

My kids were born 10 months apart. Do the math. =P
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
If you choose a method of birth control that is 99% effective, that means you have a 1% chance of getting pregnant this year.

<snip>

but if you choose to have sex, you choose to face whatever probability that you could become pregnant.
I know what you are saying. I'm just offering the opinion that I would not be as comfortable with the odds of the breastfeeding "birth control" as I would be with "raincoats"

To each her own!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM

nevermind....

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM

My EBF dds are 13 months apart. It was always fun to watch the reaction when I was asked (a million times) what my LMP was.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM

I think it's worth throwing out there that LAM (and it's guidelines) were developed to promote child spacing in parts of the world where there are no other forms of birth control readily available.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
I think it's worth throwing out there that LAM (and it's guidelines) were developed to promote child spacing in parts of the world where there are no other forms of birth control readily available.
In fact many many non-industrialised/nomadic people still manage to have a kid about every 4 years, despite a total lack of contraception available, and not all of them abstain during lactation. But if you look at the average tanzanian nomadic woman, she doesn't feed her kid a big feed every 2 or 3 hours, she is more likely to feed a wee bit every 15-20mins, which surely would keep the prolactin levels much higher? in "natural" or rather historically/evolutionarily normal conditions i think lactation probably does offer fair contraceptive cover, but the second you change to an agricultural set-up, where there is enough food around that feeding is taking place every x hours rather than every x minutes, the system is going to be way less reliable.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM

I must be one of the women it's working for I would consider myself fertile, as both of my kids were conceived in our first month trying. I am nearly 10 months post pardum and AF still has not returned yet, and we have yet to use any protection since my DD was born.

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 PM

well it is for me. i apparently won't be able to get preggers again till she is off the boob.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMommy View Post
I must be one of the women it's working for I would consider myself fertile, as both of my kids were conceived in our first month trying. I am nearly 10 months post pardum and AF still has not returned yet, and we have yet to use any protection since my DD was born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
well it is for me. i apparently won't be able to get preggers again till she is off the boob.
Same here! And I also know I'm quite fertile. My beautiful DS1 was conceived (surprise!!) two weeks after my Dr. told me I had PCOS, wasn't ovulating and would very likely need fertility treatments in the future if I wanted kids. My DS2 was conceived my first cycle after going off BC and my DD was conceived my first full cycle PP (my previous cycles had had too short a luteal phase to sustain a pregnancy). However, when I'm BFing, my body "shuts down the shop" so to speak. I didn't have a real period until DS1 was two years old and going a full night without nursing. With my second I wanted to get pregnant but wasn't ready to wean him. I learned SO much from the TTC thread here and by night weaning and using herbs I got my cycle back when he was 18 months. I'm now tandem nursing and I'm darn sure that my body isn't going to be ovulating soon. BUT! I know nothing is totally reliable and *if* I were to get pregnant earlier than expected, then I consider that the baby was meant to come into our family at that time and we'll welcome it!

So, LAM works for me any many others, but I also doubt that it's effectiveness is as high as 98%.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

User Tag List