Bigger busted mama nursing in public.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2010, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am big busted ( 42 DD) and I have trouble breastfeeding in public. How do you girls do it (particularly bigger busted girls)?? Because I am bigger, I feel more self conscious about it. When I am out and about, I only nurse in the car but even that is a little challenging. I can't just unlatch my nursing bra and be done. I feel like I have to unlatch my bra and then pull out my boob (literally pull out or plop out..lol) and then help my baby girl latch. She latches easily once I position it in around her mouth but wow, it's a process. I sometimes envy those girls who just unhook and BAM! it's in the perfect position...

I feel I won't ever be able to be discreet about nursing in public and I want to nurse in public so badly because it would just be so convenient.
I do have a nursing cover but that is just one more extra piece of material to fumble around with.

Any suggestions??????

I also want to learn to nurse in my ERGO but I don't know if it is possible because of my bigger chest. :/

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 AM

Hi there!
My DD is 3 months old. At first I dealt with this too (And guess what? I am a 42dd as well) Here is something to think about...why not nurse uncovered?
I rarely cover, and most of the time lo's head is covering most of my rather large breast.
I find when I act more relaxed I have less trouble getting things situated (i.e. the plop of boob out of the snap, into the mouth, to a comfortable position)
Maybe you could practice gaining confidence in a setting like a la leche league meeting or at a park with another bf'ing mama.

I had a lot of anxiety about this in the beginning and then I met some supportive friends who bf and now we all breastfeed uncovered in sheer nursing bliss

Anyways, hope this helps. Maybe you could get on over to the lactivist thread to fire you up and make you feel juiced to feed your baby girl whenever, wherever!

Hugs from one big booby California mama to another....good luck!

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 AM

I did use a cover a lot when dd was little. B/c f m size, it was much more comfortable for me to do that but one I got much better at it and dd got bigger, I could do it rather discretely without much cover.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'm about a 32F. My baby's head nowhere near covers most of my breast! I unclip my bra and pull it down before I lift my shirt up (unclip by putting my hand through the neck of my shirt, pull bra down by putting my hand up under the hem). I always lift my shirt up from the bottom. If I unbutton or pull down the neck I feel too exposed.

Once she's attached I can then pull the hem of my shirt down until I'm fully covered.

Maybe practice at home, in front of a mirror. I think sometimes we get a skewed perception of what others can see because we're looking down and can see *everything* but probably other can't see as much as we think.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 AM

I'm larger than most, a G when nursing, and I nurse in public with a cover most of the time. In homes, I don't use a cover when I'm around people I'm comfortable with. I wear nursing tanks, and I think that makes it so much easier and more comfortable, because I'm not worried about looking half naked! I can manage to show very little by using a burp cloth for cover while latching on, then using my shirt to cover what his head doesn't.

It's a process-I'm much more comfortable doing it with my second child than I was the first time around.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM

i just wanted to pop in here with a few other things to consider. I am a J cup, so even my poor toddler's head isn't big enough to cover all of me, at least from what I can see from above, but that doesn't mean I am "exposed" when I nurse.

I feel like the real trick for me is to wear the right clothes for me. That doesn't necessarily mean special nursing wear, just that the clothes I wear work for nursing. I like wearing tanks that keep my belly covered under my shirt, so that I can pull my shirt up a pretty good way, before I begin nursing, or even unhooking my bra. Also, I too reach through the neck of my shirt to expose my breast while it is still in my shirt. That leaves 1 less thing to do while getting baby situated.

Then to nurse, I pull baby in close to where she should be with my breast covered. Then use other hand to lift shirt, support breast and latch baby. It sounds complicated, but it takes less than a second since my breast is already free from my bra, and baby's body covers me as we get latched.

Nursing in public takes time and practice practice practice. Same for nursing in slings (of any style). In the beginning, I used all of my day time nursings to "practice" nursing in public. That meant I wore the "right" clothes and also taught my baby that nursing time, meant get down to business. No leaving mama exposed. I am WAY more lax now (and expecting my second) so it does get easier.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper26 View Post
I did use a cover a lot when dd was little. B/c f m size, it was much more comfortable for me to do that but one I got much better at it and dd got bigger, I could do it rather discretely without much cover.
This has been my experience, too (I'm also a 42DD). Usually what I do is use use a blanket to cover while I get the baby latched, and then take it off and pull my shirt down around my breast. I find it gets a lot easier once they're older and can latch themselves.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm an I right now and it is challenging. We also have to use a nipple shield so it takes
Extra time to latch. The right clothing is really helpful. I have a few nursing shirts that pull up. I also sometimes wear a camisole that I'm an pull down and a regular shirt I can pull up. Once she is latched I reposition my shirt to cover myself better.

The most important thing is that it gets easier as they get older. The head may still not cover the breast, but positioning is simpler and that makes that awkward start and finish phases easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 PM

I just wanted to pop in and add that it does get eaiser when the baby can find the nipple on his/her own. At about 5.5 months DD was able to find the nipple on me (Im an F) and latching became SO much eaiser. Personally, Ive found that the "pop it out the top" techinque works best for us, because the bra supports the underneath of my breast and it positions the nipple better.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 PM

I wore nursing tanks under t-shirts. Reached my hand under my shirt to unlatch the tank, set the boob free under there, got DS2 into position, then lifted my shirt just enough to get him latched. Then I pulled the shirt back down to cover everything.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Just wanted to say that if I saw you NIPing I woudl probably smile and be really happy that I saw someone nursing their baby!

NIP was hard for me (I'm small chested, but my boobs were WAY bigger than normal until my baby turned 1 - so it was hard to get used to), but then I just stopped caring if people saw my boobs - and it got lots easier!
Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I wore nursing tanks under t-shirts. Reached my hand under my shirt to unlatch the tank, set the boob free under there, got DS2 into position, then lifted my shirt just enough to get him latched. Then I pulled the shirt back down to cover everything.
This is what I do. Right now I tend to toss a blanket over us b/c ds3 is still so tiny and floppy, but I foresee us being able to ditch it within the next few weeks.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenlyamama View Post
Hi there!
My DD is 3 months old. At first I dealt with this too (And guess what? I am a 42dd as well) Here is something to think about...why not nurse uncovered?
I rarely cover, and most of the time lo's head is covering most of my rather large breast.
I find when I act more relaxed I have less trouble getting things situated (i.e. the plop of boob out of the snap, into the mouth, to a comfortable position)
Maybe you could practice gaining confidence in a setting like a la leche league meeting or at a park with another bf'ing mama.

I had a lot of anxiety about this in the beginning and then I met some supportive friends who bf and now we all breastfeed uncovered in sheer nursing bliss

Anyways, hope this helps. Maybe you could get on over to the lactivist thread to fire you up and make you feel juiced to feed your baby girl whenever, wherever!

Hugs from one big booby California mama to another....good luck!
THANK YOU!!!! You just gave me a confidence boast!!!

Quote:
My baby's head nowhere near covers most of my breast!
LOL! But as someone else mentioned, maybe from my point of view I look way more exposed than I feel.

Quote:
Then to nurse, I pull baby in close to where she should be with my breast covered. Then use other hand to lift shirt, support breast and latch baby. It sounds complicated, but it takes less than a second since my breast is already free from my bra, and baby's body covers me as we get latched.
Great advice...not sure why I didn't think to do this?! lol

Quote:
The head may still not cover the breast, but positioning is simpler and that makes that awkward start and finish phases easier.

Quote:
I just wanted to pop in and add that it does get eaiser when the baby can find the nipple on his/her own. At about 5.5 months DD was able to find the nipple on me (Im an F) and latching became SO much eaiser.
I am SO GRATEFUL to hear this!!!!!!

Thank you girls!!!!!! I do just need to stop caring! What awesome support! I suddenly have more confidence! You are all awesome!!!

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM

I don't use a nursing bra. I wear a lane bryant bra with a stretchy band and I just lift it up and down. I takes some practice, but I find it easier than a nursing bra. I also like wearing a loose shirt and a cardigan sweater. That way most of my belly and sides are covered.

I don't use a cover, I don't have enough hands. I just do the best I can to keep the baby close and my shirt down.

I can't nurse in a sling, etc. cause my boobs are just way too low.

In a few weeks, your babe will be able to self latch, and that will make a HUGE difference as others have said. Just keep practicing at home and in your car until you are comfortable with what is working for you!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
I don't use a nursing bra. I wear a lane bryant bra with a stretchy band and I just lift it up and down. I takes some practice, but I find it easier than a nursing bra. I also like wearing a loose shirt and a cardigan sweater. That way most of my belly and sides are covered.

I don't use a cover, I don't have enough hands. I just do the best I can to keep the baby close and my shirt down.

I can't nurse in a sling, etc. cause my boobs are just way too low.

In a few weeks, your babe will be able to self latch, and that will make a HUGE difference as others have said. Just keep practicing at home and in your car until you are comfortable with what is working for you!
I might look into the stretchy type bra at Lane Bryant (that's where I buy most of my normal bras anyway). I love nursing at home because it is so easy..I just lift up my nursing tank (little to no support and so comfy) and go at it. But it doesn't provide enough support to go out and about so I am almost forced to wear a supported type nursing bra. Although I wish I could just wear something comfy (maybe I will.. for short, 'who cares who sees me' type trips..lol).
I think I am going to have the same problem nursing in the ERGO..my boobs just might hang too low.. :/

I am going to go to the park with my LO (when the weather gets better) and practice nursing out and about. It should help me gain some confidence.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Well.....as a 34 B (on a good day) I'm hardly qualified to answer but as a fellow BF in public, I say whip it out girl!!!

The less embaresed you are, the less embaressed other people will be also. I've been guilty of whipping it out in front of complete strangers; heck, even in front of my dad! I just don't care!!!

Good luck sister!

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesmom View Post
Well.....as a 34 B (on a good day) I'm hardly qualified to answer but as a fellow BF in public, I say whip it out girl!!!

The less embaresed you are, the less embaressed other people will be also. I've been guilty of whipping it out in front of complete strangers; heck, even in front of my dad! I just don't care!!!

Good luck sister!
*hug* Thank you!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I am um, well I have no clue how big they are, at least an H. I don't do nursing bras, I use the stretchy kinds that are not cupped so I just pull the fabric down before I get the baby going and then I just lift up my shirt just enough for baby to get latched and then hold on to the bottom of my shirt for quick cover if baby moves.

I don't do covers anymore, it seems they always made things worse/harder to me because they babies will fight them and then we really draw attention to ourselves.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 PM

I usually wear a tank top/nursing tank and, if it is cool, another shirt on top. (I am way more self-conscious about exposing my mamma belly than my mamma boobies, so the tank really helps.)
I reach under the top shirt (from the bottom or from the neck--depends on the shirt) and unbuckle the nursing tank or nursing bra. Then, with a regular tank, I pull the bra down and pop the boob over top of the tank top. With a nursing tank, I just pull the flap down. Then I pull up my shirt and get The Babe on. If the shirt is stretchy or low cut (or if I am wearing a dress) I reach through the neck, unbuckle, pull one side down, and get her latched.
Learning my legal right to NIP helped me feel comfortable. So did having a few canned responses at the ready.
Just doing it even when I wasn't comfortable helped me eventually be comfortable everywhere.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to the main forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 PM

More than anything, I think it just takes time to get comfortable. It took me quite a while to feel at ease nursing out in the world.

One thing I'll mention is that I've always found it easier to nurse on my left side, because I could easily support my breast with my right (dominant) hand. On the right, I always felt like I was hanging out more and it was just more awkward. So if I knew I was going out, I would nurse preferentially on my right side at home, and then nurse on the left when I was out.

You'll get the hang of it, really you will!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 AM

I found nursing in my mei tai to work really well when DS was old enough for it. (the carrier). I honestly would just slide my shirt up, put my breast over the edge of my bra and slide onside of the carrier off my shoulder a bit. You couldn't see anything as the mei tai took care of my belly and the shirt took care of the top of my breast.

(I was wearing a 38 DD, but probably should have been in a larger cup size then)

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
This is what I do. I am a 36G.

I no longer attempt to cover beyond what my the top of my shirt covers and like a PP said, it is nursing bliss.

Mama to three

Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM

I am an L cup mom and EBF our youngest for a full year and then continued until she was 3 1/2 when I was just "done". I am definatly a fairly modest person but when it comes to BFing in public I am all about advertising, not that I am out flashing or anything but I never felt uncomfortable with the idea and want other mom's to feel inspired to do the same.

I remember the first time I nursed in public at the doctors office with our few days old daughter a new dad sitting across from me about dropped his jaw on the floor when I whipped out a boob. DH about died trying not to laugh.

Because nobody makes nursing bras in my size I started out with a nursing sports bra that was custom made and eventually just learned to lift out the parts I needed from a regular foam preshaped bra. I could never fit into those fancy nursing tops so I always just lifted my t-shirt, got her latched on and then covered as much as possible.

The only thing I am going to do differently this time around is take advantage of the postpartum value of my beloved bella bands for covering the lower half while I pull my shirt up. There is nothing more natural than breastfeeding a babe and it is a shame that women are made to feel uncomfortable in our society.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

*A tear in my eye*
I am truly inspired by all of you. Thank you so much for sharing!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Just popped back to say that I took my own advice today :LOL

J and I were playing on the floor in her room and a fed her sitting in front of the mirrored wardrobe door. You can't see *anything* in the mirror and looking down all I can see is an enormous bosom mushrooming out everywhere. I was very surprised, I thought I showed a lot more. Bit of a relief really

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
Just popped back to say that I took my own advice today :LOL

J and I were playing on the floor in her room and a fed her sitting in front of the mirrored wardrobe door. You can't see *anything* in the mirror and looking down all I can see is an enormous bosom mushrooming out everywhere. I was very surprised, I thought I showed a lot more. Bit of a relief really
I am gong to try that tomorrow! That is a great way to describe it "enormous bosom mushrooming out everywhere"!!! That is totally how I feel. lol

Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Just thought I'd also throw out there..

an awesome nursing bra, goes up to cup size K. yes, you have to order from England, but it's totally worth it. and it's on sale right now!

http://www.nctshop.co.uk/NCT-Comfort...ductinfo/1106/
Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Great thread! I'm a 36G and have been struggling to find a comfy way to NIP, I'd read that lifting your boob out the top of your top made things easier - but that's for smaller busted women lol. I came across the following http://www.undercovermama.com/ that may help you guys in the States.

At the moment, I latch and all and then cover with a receiving blanket, but that's not going to work for much longer as we're heading into a very hot summer here - we'll see how it goes, but I'll be taking the advice in this thread for sure.

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM

"I'm about a 32F. My baby's head nowhere near covers most of my breast! I unclip my bra and pull it down before I lift my shirt up (unclip by putting my hand through the neck of my shirt, pull bra down by putting my hand up under the hem). I always lift my shirt up from the bottom. If I unbutton or pull down the neck I feel too exposed. "

this is what I do. When DS was small, I used a cover, for my own comfort because he kept poppin off and on. Now he will not tolerate being covered for more than the initial latch. then he takes it off BUT he will pull the hem of my shirt down to sort of cover his face, helpful man

I use the Bravado Bliss nursing bra a Lane Bryant cotton cami and whatever shirt on top. I unfasten everything under the top shirt and put him to the breast and then lift up. seems to work really well. And I don't show a thing.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

User Tag List