Traumatic Injuires & Breastfeeding - Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family was in a serious car accident 4 weeks ago where i suffered from a shattered shoulder blade, bruised lung, some internal abdominal bleeding and my pelvis is fractured in 3 places. My DD was absolutely unharmed thankfully. My beautiful daughter (7 weeks @ accident time - now 12 weeks) was born at home naturally, is EBF and we co-slept prior to the accident. (i.e. the mommy hormones were going strong!)

I spent 5 days in hospital and was released. DD spent all of that time with us. My mother is helping me take care of my DD. Due to my injuries I can't co-sleep anymore. Nor can i lift her or walk with her in my arms.

To make a long story short; I am now experiencing some vaginal bleeding and menstrual-like cramps - DD is fed on demand and our BF relationship has changed a little bit since the accident: the co-sleeping (DD sleeps with my mother and she brings her to me in the night) and DD sleeps a little longer at night now. from 4 hours straight to 5 or 6...

With DD only 12 weeks and EBF... am i getting my period??? ALREADY? Or is this related to my injuries? (I did experience a TINY bit of bleeding in the two or three days post accident but it subsided)
#2 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Goodness mama! Sorry for the accident, I am so glad everyone is ok!

I don't think there is really any way to know why you've started AF. It could be the accident, it could be the real thing, or maybe you aren't nursing as much as you used to?

I've also heard people talk about what they thought was PPAF really early, (but more like (8-10 weeks) that were actually the end of PP bleeding.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 PM

It could just be that your body is ready to be fertile again. There's no way to absolutely make sure that AF stays away while BFing. With my second, (who is now two) we were totally EBF and AF still showed at 8 wks PP. What was really awful is that I had only stopped my post partum bleeding a week and a half prior. (and I do know it was AF)

However, given that you stated that you experienced internal abdominal bleeding and that you have a fractured pelvis, I would suggest checking with your doc, just in case. I am not in any medical field at all, but it certainly seems that there is at least the potential to be related to the accident. It couldn't hurt to call and ask at the very least.
#4 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we are truly lucky to be alive.

As for PPAF; I guess it's possible, though lochia did stop at 5 weeks PP. DD is nursing less at night but makes up for it during the day!
#5 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
It could just be that your body is ready to be fertile again. There's no way to absolutely make sure that AF stays away while BFing. With my second, (who is now two) we were totally EBF and AF still showed at 8 wks PP. What was really awful is that I had only stopped my post partum bleeding a week and a half prior. (and I do know it was AF)

However, given that you stated that you experienced internal abdominal bleeding and that you have a fractured pelvis, I would suggest checking with your doc, just in case. I am not in any medical field at all, but it certainly seems that there is at least the potential to be related to the accident. It couldn't hurt to call and ask at the very least.
Thanks, good to know that others have experienced an untimely return of AF! My last dr's visit I mentioned cramps and he suggested an ultrasound although I won't get the results until next week. The bleeding is new and is scary considering the accident. I didn't realize that you could AF if exclusively BF ...
#6 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels* View Post
DD is nursing less at night but makes up for it during the day!
Nursing less at night can change the balance of hormones. Prolactin is highest from 1-5 am, so if no nursing is happening then, levels may shift, which may allow AF to return.

But, babies usually return to a more active nursing pattern at night around 4 months old (although there is a 3 month growth spurt too), so it may be wise to warn your mum that baby may go to 2-3 h feeds at night. That way she can be prepared, and so can you!

so sorry to hear of the crash, but so thankful that you are all alive, and that you are healing. Stay strong, Mama.
#7 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With the accident I would get it checked out, just to make sure. However I got my periods back really early with both children.

My first was premmie and wasn't able to latch straight away, my periods started back at 6 weeks. My second fed from the start but my periods still came back about 8 weeks.
#8 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM

With my first dd my periods started at 3 months PP. I nursed on demand all day and night with her. My 2nd I got a break till about 6 months but my 3rd.....
I only had bleeding after her birth for about 2 weeks. Then at 4-5 weeks I had that good quality egg white cervical fluid. Then 2 weeks later a period. I was obeying all the rules. Co-sleeping, on demand feeding, no bottles or pacifiers. I was holding her or wearing her most of the day and I still got my period at 6-7 weeks PP. I didn't get one every single month though.

Bug huge hugs to you. What a hard thing to go through. I am very glad that you mom stepped up to help you.
#9 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies!!! I will absolutely get it checked out but it is reassuring to know that eating less at night is influencing my hormones and that others have experienced periods right away post baby.

This morning bleeding is minimal but cramps are the same... totally feels like my period.

And yes, it is a very hard thing to go through, DH was hurt even more badly than me and hasn't held DD at all since the accident - at least i have nursing to cuddle and visit with her! We are all remaining strong and keeping a positive attitude. I am so so so lucky to have a mother who shares almost all the same views on parenting, she wears DD in a sling most of the day and is really truly amazing at taking care of DD like i would!

Give your children a big cuddle right now And wear your seat belts!
#10 of 15 Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm so glad you and your family are okay!! Healing vibes coming your way!!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#11 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 AM

Checking back to see how everything went.  I hope you and your family are doing OK.  hug.gif

#12 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Patio Gardener! Everything went ok, Dr said it was probably AF as ultrasounds and xrays were normal.  Doctor also said is very normal for women to get AF after experiencing similar serious trauma.  So i guess it is normal to have AF after trauma!

Thanks for your concern - it means a lot!

#13 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Wow mama!  I'm thankful all of you are alive, and that your dd was unhurt!  I'm another mama who was EBF and got AF back at 6weeks pp.  Yuck.

Is your DH healing up ok??  How are your injuries healing?  I hope you all heal quickly!

#14 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Healing is going well, we are trying to keep positive!  The hardest thing by far is not being able to look after my daughter. 

DH had emergency surgery on Saturday.  His broken clavicle had not healed at all since the accident so the Dr wanted to go in and fix it with a plate and some screws, luckily - the doctor said that there was muscle in the way of his bones healing and it was a good thing we didn't wait.  He is still recovering but doing really well considering! (He's a tough cookie!)

Things are getting easier slowly, I can walk for longer periods and hold DD for longer - but not nearly enough not to need help.  Having AF on top of all this was rough - but it's over and done - thankfully!!

#15 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm so glad things are looking up!  I'll be thinking of you all, and sending many healing thoughts and prayers your way for a while.  Keep us updated!

I must say, your dd is GORGEOUS!  (I'm assuming your avatar is her!)

Tags
Health Healing , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page