Best Manual Pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for recommendations on a manual pump.  I had a PIS that I used before with DS1 and a cheapo manual pump.  I liked the manual one better.  But now I'm looking for something a little better than the cheapo one.

I've seen that the Medela and the Lansinoh get good reviews.  Any other opinions??

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM

The Avent Isis would get my vote. 

#3 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 AM

Agreed!

#4 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting.  People who had used the Medela and the Isis said the Medela was better--that the Isis had a bunch of weird parts to wash??

#5 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

The Avent Isis would get my vote. 

yeahthat.gif  washing it has not been an issue for me.

#6 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I LOVE my Isis!  I've never had any difficulty with washing it.

#7 of 14 Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM

I've only ever used a Lansinoh, but it works great. 

#8 of 14 Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

My Medela Harmony has worked great for me so far.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#9 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I like the Philips Avent Isis. However, I had a real problem with the valve being sucked through every time and having to fish it out of the milk with my fingers. I called Philips customer service and they sent me a different type of valve which works fine. If you get one with the small, disc-shaped valve with an asterisk on it, it's no good. Make sure (if possible) you get one with the other valve, which looks more like a long plug. Honestly, if I had known about this annoying valve problem, I probably would've just got the Medela Harmony. As for all the parts of the Isis, I got used to it real quick and it doesn't bother me, but I've heard the Medela Harmony is much simpler and easier to clean.

What I like about the Isis is the massage padding. I don't know if it's that or the fact that I switched from electric to manual, but I get about 30-50% more milk using it!!!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#10 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

As someone who used a medela harmony and the Isis. The Medela pump is leaps and bounds better!!! I love that little pump. It has fewer pieces than the Isis and my Isis did not produce consistently good suction and started making very annoying squeaky plastic noises within the first couple uses. I ended up throwing it away. The Harmony is an amazing little pump. It always worked really well!

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#11 of 14 Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so  much for all the input!

#12 of 14 Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I like the Philips Avent Isis. However, I had a real problem with the valve being sucked through every time and having to fish it out of the milk with my fingers. I called Philips customer service and they sent me a different type of valve which works fine. If you get one with the small, disc-shaped valve with an asterisk on it, it's no good. Make sure (if possible) you get one with the other valve, which looks more like a long plug. Honestly, if I had known about this annoying valve problem, I probably would've just got the Medela Harmony. As for all the parts of the Isis, I got used to it real quick and it doesn't bother me, but I've heard the Medela Harmony is much simpler and easier to clean.

What I like about the Isis is the massage padding. I don't know if it's that or the fact that I switched from electric to manual, but I get about 30-50% more milk using it!!!

I was having that issue with the valve and just switched to one of the other valves that can with it (there were three that came in the package). the first valve I used for about a month, but started having issues with it after about 2 weeks, the second I used for 4 months with no issues. I think there's a variance in the size sometimes, and if you get one that's on the smaller end it starts having issues a lot sooner.

I didn't have trouble washing avent, but there are a lot of parts as compared to some other models. but it was just so comfortable to use that I think it's well worth the little bit of extra work. also, I had the massage cushion wear out, and they sent me a replacement part absolutely free, even though I didn't have all the warranty info because I got the pump through my LLL group.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#13 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 AM

I love love love my Isis.  I used the harmony, and could not get a let down for it at all.  The Isis I used for my first child was old and used so I bought a new one for the upcoming baby.  They've both had the star shaped valve and I've never had a problem. 

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#14 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM

I have the isis, and love it.  Actually, I have it, a PIS and had a hospital grade pump for a couple of years, and I got rid of the hospital grade pump because my isis is my go to pump.  I have the round disc with an asterisk shaped valve and have no problem with it.  I have, once or twice had it get sucked through when the suction was particularly strong, but that really hasn't happened more than a couple of times and I've used this kind of pump for 2 years total now with 2 different babies. 

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Tags
Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page