Is lack of colostrum in pregnancy predictive of low supply later? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am almost 36 weeks pregnant and I'm starting to get worried by the fact that I don't seem to have any colostrum yet. Not only have I never leaked at all, but I can't express so much as a drop. Does this mean I won't have colostrum when the baby is born?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#2 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Nope. I didn't have ANY during pregnancy, but had an excellent supply after baby was born.

#3 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 AM

Well, I am older than you, I couldn't express a drop in pregnancy either, and I had so much milk I could have easily fed triplets.  MASSIVE over supply!  So don't worry - it is not an indication of supply at all.

Have you talked to an LC or gone to a La Leche League meeting yet?  So helpful when preparing to breastfeed - even just to increase your confidence! 

This is also a great webpage: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html

and... be prepared to have sore nipples in the start (I used lanolin to soothe), be prepared for baby to feed 18-32 times in 24 hours at first, invest in a great water bottle - I was so surprised at how thirsty I was! - and know that it is normal for baby to lose some weight in the beginning.

Best wishes for birth and happy baby mooning! 

#4 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nope, whether you have colostrum leakage during pregnancy or not has absolutely nothing to do with how much milk you'll produce afterward!

#5 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! That really eases my mind!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#6 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Milk production occurs after the delivery of the placenta (colostrum is milk)  Not all women have colostrum during pregnancy.  I never did.  No worries mama. :)

#7 of 16 Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM

I had plenty of colostrum during all of my pregnancies, but I have never been able to nurse without an SNS, so in my case, it was the opposite.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#8 of 16 Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I had one drop of colostrum during my pregnancy (boy was that an exciting moment!), although I never really tried to express any, and now I have a kind of low supply. It's enough for the baby, but when I pump I get about half of the average (1-2 oz in a 20 min session). But I have never thought the lack of colostrum in pregnancy had any relationship to that whatsoever.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 16 Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM

I couldn't express colostrum even after my births-- it's really hard to get that stuff out, if you're not a baby. But apparently I had plenty, since DD1 started spitting up the excess starting with her first feed. And I always made plenty of milk, too, for all my kids. FWIW-- I never leaked, ever. Not ever. Even when my milk first came in, I never leaked. So if you turn out to be a non-leaker, don't let that worry you, either.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

I also had no colostrum during pregnancy, but bordered on oversupply for baby's first few months. My MW said the best indication of whether or not you will have enough milk for baby is whether or not your breasts grow during pregnancy.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#11 of 16 Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM

I never had much (or any, really) colostrum in pregnancy but never had supply issues later.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#12 of 16 Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM

I never leaked with my last pregnancy (or this one either) and had an oversupply...my milk actually was "in" within 24 hours of birth. (Even though everyone assured me it was normal for it to take several days...I was spraying out the other side when nursing)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#13 of 16 Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphel View Post

My MW said the best indication of whether or not you will have enough milk for baby is whether or not your breasts grow during pregnancy.

My breasts never grew in pregnancy or when my milk came in so I would disagree with this.  I also didn't leak colostrum during either of my pgs.  I have a huge oversupply and OALD and I had to block feed for almost 6 months.  My oversupply can still be triggered if DS2 nurses more than his normal amount.

Loving my two wild and crazy boys -- DS1 06/07 and DS2 12/09
#14 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
myk

i never leaked with my first pg, i could express a drop of colostrum at a time but that's it. i had a GREAT supply!

this time around, i'm 33w5d so far and can express one drop every few hours if i try hard enough. i'm not worried.

January 2011
#15 of 16 Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I didn't have any leaking colostrum, but I could express a few drops while pg.  I had a massive oversupply and OALD for months after DD was born.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#16 of 16 Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM

I haven't had a problem with nursing, colostrum was there when baby latched on and my milk came in 2.5 days post partum.

P.J This line was entirely me! I was so excited to find that my works were working. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I had one drop of colostrum during my pregnancy (boy was that an exciting moment!),  

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page