Breastmilk for non-nursing children - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I have a 4 week old and am once again a nursing mama. It is so amazing to me to see him growing so well and so healthy...I have a 6 yo DS and 4 yo DD who nusred for a couple years each and wonder why I dont give them a bit of mama milk now that we have a supply! Does anyone else do this and if so, how do you serve it?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I probably would/will, especially if DD gets sick once I have a milk supply. I'd probably just give it to her in a cup, she drank EBM cold from a sippy when I went back to school when she was 10mo. and liked it fine then.

Of course, they might not like it now. But it's worth a try.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 AM

Congrats on the new babe.

I'd totally give ODC mama milk. Depending on how you feel about it, you could consider letting them try nursing.

Otherwise, I'd probably mix it in things- oatmeal, cereal, pudding just so they don't even notice the difference in taste btw it and whatever other kind of milk they are used to.

One thing to be aware of, tho, you didn't mention how you were going to get the milk for ODC if not nurse (pump, I assume? Unless you are one of the luck pp faucets like me :lol) Before you break out the pump for milk for your olders, I'd wait at least a few weeks for your supply for your newbie to be well established.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#4 of 4 Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Hi mama,

I agree with pp that you should let your supply regualte itself before you pump too much, but I think it's a great idea if you are all comfortable with it.  I have a nursing 15 month old and a 4 year old (who weaned at 2 years of age).  Last week my 4 year old got the rotavirus BAD and I pumped a few ounces of BM for her for the first few days of intense vomiting.  It was the ONLY thing she could keep down.  She cried for more each time I gave her a small cup to drink of it.

Unfortunately, a few ounces here and there wasn't enough to keep her hydrated and she ended up being hospitalized for dehydration.  Once she was eating and drinking well in the hospital, I snuck in a bit of EBM for her each day.  She loved it, and the nurses kept commenting on how rapidly she was recovering.  She is now home and getting better, and getting some EBM each day (a few ounces here and there).  I'm hoping it helps to heal her gut faster than otherwise, and that it's easy for her to digest and get nutrients out of it.

Guess I'm getting around to... I pumped it, and then dumped it into her favorite cup for her at home.  I put it in a waterbottle for the trips to the hospital. 

~maddymama

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page