Anyone else have to use a nursing cover to stop distraction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I got two nursing covers as gifts before the baby was born, and I was like: No way I'll ever use those, pffft!  eyesroll.gif

Well, fast forward six months and I realize I have to use a cover when we're NIP because DS gets sooooo distracted otherwise! In fact, he even gets distracted at home and I've figured out to feed him a little less often so he's hungrier and will then more easily concentrate (ie, no more snacking here and there all the time -don't worry I'd never deny him when he wants, but we were nursing very often before now it's just a little less).

I am not ashamed at all about NIP, but I have to say when DS is pulling off the breast every 10 seconds and fully exposing my nipple, well, that I am not really into. I have my limits, kwim? Anyway I sort of feel like I'm betraying the cause of promoting BF pride, and would never want to spread the idea that there's anything to be ashamed of about NIP.

I guess this is just a little vent. Does anyone else have to use a cover in public or otherwise to keep your baby on the breast? Is it embarrassing for you as it is for me? Is there any other solution other than baring your nipple for all to see? I've tried quickly pulling down my shirt as soon as he pulls off, but it is too often and then my shirt gets wet. What to do, eh? toddler.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We covered for the first maybe 8 months or so, because of DH's comfort level at the time, my own in getting used to NIP, and sometimes, the distractability factor. Now we don't, I try when I am at my parents' because it is just weird flopping out in front of my dad, but babe won't keep a cover on. I do just pull down my top really fast. and yeah, sometimes it gets wet, but it dries :)

Like all things, it is a phase. I found also that waiting for him to be hungry helped (versus just got the munchies) it helps him focus. Though there are times I take advantage of an opportunity to nurse in a quiet place, like the mothers' room in baby stores. it is usually deserted, has enough seating for DH to accompany me if he with me, and the chairs are comfy. I think just NIP is great, however it is done, it helps further the normalcy of it.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4.5 month old DD is very distractable. Even at home, in a quiet house, with just me, she . Nursing while we're out and about is a big challenge due to the distracability. I look at it like this: baby needs to eat, if baby needs to be covered in order to focus on eating, then it is for baby's benefit to cover. For my DD, I usually end up just nursing her in the car these days when we're out. I'm not "hiding" away to nurse but putting her in the quietest, least interesting environment I can come up with to help her focus. Mother's rooms at stores are great too, as long as no one else is in there. Last time I used one someone else came into nurse (good thing) but that was the end of it for DD.

If your son can focus on nursing in public while using a cover, I say use it proudly. It is for your son's benefit and that is most important. In my opinion, for Joe Shmoe out there even seeing a mother nurse with a cover is beneficial. It's more exposure to breastfeeding than some people have ever gotten. Good luck! 

Wife to my best friend, a hardworking mountain man, and mom to a sweet little girl (7/10) and a spastic kitty, currently living far from the mountains.

Tags
Breastfeeding , Nursing Covers
User Tag List