Itchy breasts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

NAKing...Can itchy breasts be caused by anything other than thrush??

My DD is 2w4d old and my breasts have been itchy for a couple of days. I have no burning, no awful boob-full-of-broken-glass feelings, and only occasional pain at latching(we are still working on her latch, esp. when she is sleepy).

I had a monster bed case of thrush with my DS, now 3y9m, that lasted 4 months and caused an ugly breast injury. I am in deep fear of having thrush again.

I've been taking probiotics and cranberry caps since before her birth (a planned c/s due to previa), started with GSE & micanozole topically and GSE & black walnut tincture orally when I first noticed the itching. Am contemplating getting diflucan, mostly because its a holiday weekend, and if this gets worse, I don't want to be stuck without.

But mostly I'd love to hear that there could be another reason! We are in the midst of a dry cold snap & humidity dropped to 25%...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It really does sound like the beginnings of thrush and I would treat it with less aggressive treatments before it gets out of hand, kwim? You got some antibiotics during your csection ( I found out its standard from my OB and got thrush this last time too) and that is the likely cause. What I would do now.....

1. rinse your breasts with a Grapefruit seed extract solution- 10 drops per ounce after every feeding.

2. after GSE dries, apply some 2% miconozole ointment ( yeast infection cream) to your breasts

3, eat some cultured  yogurt

4. take some probiotics

This was advice given to me here from Dr. Newman's protocol.

I did this and was able to keep babe from getting it. It took 3 weeks, but it's gone!

Good luck!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breast Care , Health Healing
User Tag List