breastfeeding and working (7mo old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now my son just hit the 4-month mark. In 3 months I'll be going back to work, but I really want to continue breast feeding him (at that point he'll be 7 months old). He strongly resists taking a bottle, though we tried really hard to get him to take one a day. He just wont.

I just got a job as a university prof, and will be teaching 18 hours a week (plus 4-6 office hours) and hopefully can do my prep work from home. It works out to roughly being away from the house for 4-6 hours per day. Maximum I'd be gone, without being able to come home and feed him would be 8 hours... but that'd be a rare day.

DS is a total snacker - though I've never tried to put him on a schedule (no need, I'm home all the time). He's already showing strong interest in food, though I haven't let him try it yet.

I want to know how long (at 7 months old) he can reasonably go without breast milk - if he's being fed solids between feedings.

Thanks!

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 PM

I just started work this week myself. My DD is 4 months old and has been refusing the bottle for the past month and half. What we learned though, is that she'll take milk when we put it on a teaspoon!!! Though it is quite messy! Have you thought to try that? 

at 3 months DD could go 5-6 hours sometimes between feedings (which everyone tells me is great). So I'm guessing at 7 months it just depends on the baby?? Good luck momma!

#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I had time today to do some extra research so I thought I'd throw this link out there...

I don't necessarily agree with everything they wrote, but it makes me feel better about leaving him for up to 6 hours with just fruits/cereals.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breastfeedinginfo/a/aanho17.htm

Three or four good nursings during a 24 hour period plus a variety of solid foods gives the baby all he needs, nutritionally, and thus he does not need any other type of milk when you are at your outside job. Of course, solid foods can be mixed with expressed milk or other milk, but this is not necessary.

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer1216 View Post

I had time today to do some extra research so I thought I'd throw this link out there...

I don't necessarily agree with everything they wrote, but it makes me feel better about leaving him for up to 6 hours with just fruits/cereals.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breastfeedinginfo/a/aanho17.htm

Three or four good nursings during a 24 hour period plus a variety of solid foods gives the baby all he needs, nutritionally, and thus he does not need any other type of milk when you are at your outside job. Of course, solid foods can be mixed with expressed milk or other milk, but this is not necessary.

I really like Jack Newman, but I don't agree with everything he says.  I do agree that baby (who is over 6 months and eating solids) can be fine with only solids for 6 hours, but I do not agree that a 6-12 month old is fine with only 3-4 nursings in 24 hours. 

We need to remember that nursing is not just about nutrition, and it is normal for babies to 'reverse cycle' and nurse every 2 hours when Mama is home, to make up for the time she is away.

OP, at 7 months your baby may be fine for 4 hours with no food at all!  Or 6 hours with solids and some water in a cup, or your milk in a cup.  And it would be completely normal for him to want to nurse lots and lots when you get back home thumb.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page