Hard time pumping, what to give 6 mo. old while at work? (xposted) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work 2 days/wk, for 4 hours each.  I'm having a hard time getting any more than 2 oz. while I'm pumping.  She is eating a bit of solid foods, but still eagerly drinks a bottle while I'm gone (I'd had a big freezer supply that is almost gone). 

Should I just leave a 2 oz. bottle, and risk her getting really upset when there's no more, or give something else like hemp or coconut milk in addition to a little solid food?

Thanks so much!!

Mom to 2 amazing girlies, Feb. '08 and May '10.joy.gif
#2 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 AM

A rule of thumb is 1 oz per hour for the time that you are away. But - by 6 months some kids can go 3-4 hours between feedings. SO - I don't think you are doing so bad with 2 ounces if you are only gone 4 hours. You are nursing before you drop her off and again when you come back? DOES she get upset with only 2 ounces? I would try it and see how it goes.

If it were me, in addition to the solid food I would add some formula instead of the coconut milk or some other substitute. But I also wouldn't be concerned about only giving 2 ounces and being gone 4 hours. I figure in a 24 hour period the baby is getting what she needs.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM

i'd make sure she isn't overfed

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/bottle_feeding.pdf

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html#calculator

I would leave solids and the 2 oz of milk, and nurse immediately on returning, myself.  Good luck!

#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM

ITA with previous posters. if she is thirsty you could give some water in addition to the solids she is eating, but she may be just fine as you are only gone about 4 hours.

FWIW: I returned to work at  7 weeks PP 2 days a week 8 hours a day. From day one, DS took 2 4-ish oz bottles while I was gone, and depending on his naps, he only did one (in these cases I nursed before I left, he had a mid day bottle, and nursed again when I got home). now that he is a year old, he gets solid food the whole time I am gone, even though I still HAVE a freezer stash, DH just feeds him solid food. he nurses like a fiend when I am home though.

If your DD does need more than 2 oz, can you pump after feedings at home to help build up your stash again?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think you need to leave additional bm or formula for her. Hemp or coconut milk are not nutrtionally dense enough for a 6 month old. I understand wanting to avoid formula, I really do, but the other options are not adequate. Formula provides adequate nutrition and her diet should be primarily bm or formula based at this age. Solids + "other" are not enough. I don't really feel like it is fair to not leave a bottle of bm/formula during that period because you don't like what is in the bottle and she might theoretically get by without it. And I don't think is fair to your caregiver, either. 

A 4 oz bottle would probably get you through.  What is your pumping routine? Have you considered adding a pumping session before work, or in the evening, or make it part of your daily routine? If you have time for a single pumping break, what about when you get in your car before you go or in the same place.  I found it easiest to pump first thing in the morning. If you do it everyday your supply will adjust easily and then you will have enough to supplement. You might even have a cushion. You aren't working a lot so it might not be that difficult to get a little more milk with a little more pumping.

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page