please help w/advice, nursing and a d & c - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

any mamas have any advice?  the drug used is propofol, which is what is used for a c-birth as well.  how much should i pump & how much should i have to dump? 

thx

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 2 Old 12-06-2010, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is no need to pump and dump after having Propofol
Quote:
Summary of Use during Lactation:
Amounts of propofol in milk are very small and are not expected to be absorbed by the infant. No waiting period or discarding of milk is required before resuming breastfeeding after propofol anesthesia. Breastfeeding can be resumed as soon as the mother has recovered sufficiently from general anesthesia to nurse.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~xV2ymO:1

As soon as you are fully awake and able to sit up, it is safe to resume nursing.

Keep in mind, though, that you may get some fairly intense disagreement from some medical professionals. This is because most of them do not have their hands on reliable information. When I had a colonoscopy, when my twins were two months old, I was told by the GI guy to pump and dump for 24 hours. The anesthesiologist told me that was nonsense, and that one good emptying an hour or so afterwards would be enough. My pediatrician told me they were all crazy, and found me the above information, as well as information in Hale's. She told me the other doctors were trying to cover their butts, but that there was no real reason to do anything other than make sure I was fully alert (so that I wouldn't drop the babies! thumb.gif)

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page