How to find information on donating milk? Reliable organizations, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spent some time talking with a mom at our playgroup this morning. She has a five month old baby. For four months, she's been building up a freezer stash, in anticipation of going back to work (she's going back in three weeks). The baby has eczema, and mom has recently discovered that baby is allergic to dairy and soy. She's crushed-- the elimination diet is no big deal, but now she won't be able to use her stored milk. She told me how heartbroken she was to think of throwing it away, and I suggestion donation-- but neither of us know the slightest thing about it.

If you know of any resources for donating milk, could you share them? We're in NJ; we're close to Bucks County, PA as well.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 PM

here's a resource to help you connect with those who made need donated milk

here's a link to an organization that banks milk

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM

There is also Eats on Feets, There are different chapters for each state. All corespondence is done via facebook as they don't have a dedicated website yet. I have already lined up a recipient for my GF/DF milk via milkshare and might end up trying to donate a little via the eats on feets group locally as well.

I was devastated when HMBA flat out refused to accept my milk without even getting to the application/screening process claiming that I was too far from a local bank and they wouldn't accept it if shipped. I didn't know you could donate locally at that time and ended up tossing alot of milk in the trash.

Its great that your helping your friend line up recipients for her milk. I was just talking to DH today about what a financially devastating blow it would be to have to depend on manufactured baby formula.

#4 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhulen View Post

I was devastated when HMBA flat out refused to accept my milk without even getting to the application/screening process claiming that I was too far from a local bank and they wouldn't accept it if shipped. I didn't know you could donate locally at that time and ended up tossing alot of milk in the trash.

interesting.  the website made it sound like they would cover shipping costs to the nearest bank.  looks like the closest bank (currently operating is in columbus ohio).

i think i prefer the idea of donating to someone you may actually know or connect with online, rather than sending it to a milk bank.

just found this one too.

found this place too which is in need of donated breast pumps.  i would donate mine, but i'm currently pregnant and may be needing it.  just thought i'd pass on the info.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#5 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 PM

interesting.  the website made it sound like they would cover shipping costs to the nearest bank.  looks like the closest bank (currently operating is in columbus ohio).

i think i prefer the idea of donating to someone you may actually know or connect with online, rather than sending it to a milk bank.

just found this one too.

found this place too which is in need of donated breast pumps.  i would donate mine, but i'm currently pregnant and may be needing it.  just thought i'd pass on the info.

Wow, thanks for the link on donating pumps. I have a brand new sealed avent isis that was given to me but I don't need it as I already have 2 others. I will defintatly be donating to another mom who can use it. I had no idea an organization like this existed.

And yes. I was definatly under the same impression when I contacted them about 5 years ago. I don't know if I just got a bad represenative or what but I was definatly taken back by the response I recieved. I am finding that connecting with another mom who will be feeding my milk to her little one has been a very rewarding experience. As it turns out we have alot in common and I am very greatful that I can give her such a wonderful gift.

#6 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhulen View Post

I am finding that connecting with another mom who will be feeding my milk to her little one has been a very rewarding experience. As it turns out we have alot in common and I am very greatful that I can give her such a wonderful gift.

i bet.  how wonderful!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#7 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 AM

EatsonFeets.org

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#8 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 PM

I love Eats on Feets and I love being able to donate my extra milk. The families that I've met are so happy to be able to give their babies milk. It's nice that I've become friends with them too.

#9 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I would personally check to make sure the bank you donate to is not a big for profit company. Some milk banks charge $35 per ounce, instead of about $3.50 and offer payments to the hospital for using their milk (and the mom ends up paying the high price through insurance). I find the whole process a little suspect.. and personally perfect the more direct route.

#10 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would also do Milk Share or Eats on Feets before I donated to a bank!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#11 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. I've passed all this on to her, and now it's in her hands to decide what to do.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 AM

I actually just posted on a moms group in my area and also on the birth alliance yahoo group to see if anyone needed any and got a few responses.  Ended up donating almost 300 ounces to a newly adopted baby.  Hope she found something that worked.

#13 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

I would also do Milk Share or Eats on Feets before I donated to a bank!

Thank you guys so much for posting! I hadn't heard of Eats on Feets and we now have potential donor milk lined up for our new baby.

Thank you again. :)

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page