Anyone having trouble loosing weight while BF? I'm stuck! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if this topic has been done a thousand times, I did do a search but could not seem to find anything related to being stuck at loosing weight.  My second child is 12 months and still BF'ing.  I still have the 20 pounds I gained with my first and it just won't budge!  Has anyone been unable to loose weight while nursing?  I've been counting calories but not even sure what calorica intake I should be on.  My daughter eats solids quite well.  Nursing during the day is mostly a snack...more night nursing than anything.

Thanks for any replies!

Mama to one very active DS (5.5) Loving wife to my wonderful DH and our baby girl arrived on December 10, 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

I gained weight after DD was born and couldn't shake it. First when she was about 20 months old was I in a place where I could get my head around making a real effort, and really changing things.

That's when I cut out sugar (except fruit - I eat plenty of fresh fruit as well as fruit used in cooking and baking, but sparingly, as well as honey, occasionally). It took about two months to get over the cravings (I allowed myself small amounts of sugar about once a week in the meantime, like half a sweet bun or half a biscuit - giving the other half to DH). But it means all the hidden sugar, which is quite difficult. Since then I can have something nice, occasionally.

I also started exercising in the mornings (the time that suits me the best), at home (same thing), with DD joining in. I made up an exercise program that consists of a mixture of exercises supportive for ballet (which I did when I was younger), and some yoga and pilates, and some which is just dancing around the room with DD, which I can customize for 20 min-1 hour depending on what I have. DD loves to do yoga with me, and recognizes the music for exercising! And I don't work really hard, I'm not at all a sporty person.

I lost about 15 kg in 2 or 3 months.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 PM

i have a big 'stall' in weight loss from about 6 months to 18 months while nursing, then after 18 months i start losing weight again..  and fast. not sure why.. ?  i read the other day that it is 'normal' to lose 1.5lbs a MONTH while nursing past about 4-6 weeks.. if i was losing at that rate i would still be 20lbs above pre-pg weight at 12 months.. i think your body is designed to hold on to some of the weight until the child is older.. i feel like my body works that way and if i could just get to 2 years without getting pregnant again i think i could get all the baby weight off..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM

I initially gained weight with ds2 when nursing.  I tried to be careful with what I ate, but I had no idea how much I needed to consume while nursing to lose but still maintain a good milk supply.

I joined weight watchers and did their plan (they have one geared for nursing moms) and lost about 25 pounds in about 3 months.  I joined again now, after ds3, but I did it a lot earlier (I waited until 6 months with ds2 and joined at 2 months this time).  I'm 12 pounds down and entering my 4th week of the plan.  Only 17 more to go to hit pre-pregnancy weight!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:27 AM

I'm right there with you. I started both pg's about 20# overweight. With DD, I was back to 10# under pre-pg weight when she was about 18 mos old. With DS, it's been harder: I did lose all my pg weight (so still 20 # overweight) by the time he was 16 mos, but these past few months, the weight has slowly been creeping back up and I can't seem to get into a regular diet or exercise routine to fight the weight gain. It's frustrating. I will be following this thread!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies.

Liberal_Chick; I looked into the weight watchers, but honestly i'm a little apprehensive as I saw another member on these boards using the WW for nursing moms and was loosing NOTHING.  How expensive is this program??  I would be nice if I could join and be part of a group just to try and keep myself in line!!  Now with the holidays rolling around, I hate all these sweets.  That and we're leaving to go south on Jan 10th, I so wanted to buy myself a new cute bikini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

I initially gained weight with ds2 when nursing.  I tried to be careful with what I ate, but I had no idea how much I needed to consume while nursing to lose but still maintain a good milk supply.

I joined weight watchers and did their plan (they have one geared for nursing moms) and lost about 25 pounds in about 3 months.  I joined again now, after ds3, but I did it a lot earlier (I waited until 6 months with ds2 and joined at 2 months this time).  I'm 12 pounds down and entering my 4th week of the plan.  Only 17 more to go to hit pre-pregnancy weight!

Mama to one very active DS (5.5) Loving wife to my wonderful DH and our baby girl arrived on December 10, 2009
Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Yup. I'm 25-30#s up from when I got pregnant w DS1 and ~15-20#s up from when I got pregnant w/ ds2. :sigh:

Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 AM

When I re-joined WW, it was $55 and that covered the membership fee and 3 months.  After that it will be $17/mo I think, but you can discontinue your membership at any time.  As long as I'm really honest and track what I'm eating (I do it all with their online program), I lose a good 1-2 pounds a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_2_Boy View Post

Thanks for all your replies.

Liberal_Chick; I looked into the weight watchers, but honestly i'm a little apprehensive as I saw another member on these boards using the WW for nursing moms and was loosing NOTHING.  How expensive is this program??  I would be nice if I could join and be part of a group just to try and keep myself in line!!  Now with the holidays rolling around, I hate all these sweets.  That and we're leaving to go south on Jan 10th, I so wanted to buy myself a new cute bikini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Tags
Breastfeeding
User Tag List