edema in breasts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
myk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD2 is due in a few weeks! we're having a scheduled caesarean, and one of my biggest concerns is the IV fluids and how they lead to edema. with DD1 i had severe edema after pre-E that prevented normal bfing for 3 whole weeks. i do NOT want to repeat it! i don't have pre-E this time around, but i was sick a while back and needed IV fluids. much to my surprise, my breasts became very swollen with edema even though the rest of me was showing some signs of dehydration!

so i'm hoping to get some advice that can help minimize this affect on my bfing relationship. i have one flat nipple, one inverted nipple, and HUGE breasts (J cup right now) that are quite pendulous. that's probably why the fluid accumulates in my breasts. i'm going to ask that the hospital discontinue the IV as soon as they can after the birth, but still expect that edema will happen. the fluid makes my breasts look and feel like an orange - firm, with weird dimples, and no nipple sticking out.

is there anything i can do to move the fluid out of my breasts and soften them so that the nipple can stick out enough and baby can latch? with DD1 i had to supplement with formula which i hated with every fibre of my being. necessary evil that i'd rather not repeat if i can help it. on a happier note though, once the edema went away and DD1 could latch, we had a great bfing relationship for 4 years :)

January 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 AM

As you are scheduled, can you make sure that the IV is kept as a hep lock until they start the epidural?  Hopefully that will also limit your IV intake.  How long were you on IV fluids for your first?  Hopefully this will not be as much at all.

good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

As you are scheduled, can you make sure that the IV is kept as a hep lock until they start the epidural?  Hopefully that will also limit your IV intake.  How long were you on IV fluids for your first?  Hopefully this will not be as much at all.

good luck!

This probably wont work as you need extra IV fluid before the placement of the spinal, as the spinal can cause a significant drop in blood pressure.

To the OP - have you ever heard of reverse-pressure softening?  It can be a god-send for breast/areolar edema.   

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman.html

I think there is a reverse pressure softening video online, too.

Good luck!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

Tags
Breastfeeding , Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page