Nursing,teething and biting! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 month old son is teething and actually has 1 tooth fully out and is working on the next one,it's almost out all the way. He's been biting down a little while nursing. It doesn't hurt to bad yet,but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous that it might. If he bites,even a little nibble I'll say no in a firm voice and unlatch him and try again a few seconds later. I try not to let him "play" at the breast like I used to when he was done instead of letting him hang out and snack on and off. He tends to bite more when he's just playing rather then when he really needs to eat. If he bites a little hard then I say NO a little louder and firmer and actually put him down on the floor or on the couch beside me. If he cries I'll let him nurse again b/c I'm thinking it means he is really hungry,if he's ok then I leave him to play or whatever. While we nurse I talk to him and say things like "be gentle" "this is cuddle time,be gentle with boobies or they go away". Is there anything else I can do to encourage him not to bite?

#2 of 3 Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM

I don't think there's much else you can do with one so young -- whenever my DS got rough with the nursing and bit me, I just ended the session right away; I figured if he was still actually hungry he wouldn't be biting me! I think you just have to make sure he gets it by not letting him continue to nurse if he bites on purpose, and the gentle talking sounds good too. 

My DS got teeth at 3 months too, hang in there mama!

eta that DS doesn't bite me any more, he only did it for a little while, a week maybe, and then he stopped.

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09
#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Right, they can't bite while they're really nursing because their mouth is full of breast. If they are biting, they are not latched on properly.  So, it stands to reason that he's not really hungry at that point and it makes sense to take him off until later.  I would not allow a baby to play at the breast once he shows signs of biting, it's just not a good idea. 

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)

Tags
Nursing Covers , Teething , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page