Do you love your washable nursing pads? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been using Lansinoh disposable nursing pads but I find that they bunch up quite a bit and the scrunched up material can be really uncomfortable.  Also, I feel guilty about using disposables...I'd prefer to save the money and use cloth. 

Any recommendations on comfortable washable nursing pads?

Thanks!

#2 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM

i have some Bravado ones that are great, now that my supply has long since been regulated. I would say to shop some WAHM and small businesses for a maker of mama cloth in fabrics you like and that are comfy for you...it's pretty much the same thing, just a ldifferent shape! One place to start would be Domino Pads...she's great and has a referral program and sales once in a while.

If you're a wool fan, I've heard good things about Lana or Lanacare?

#3 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Babies'R'Us has some nice organic cotton pads - I really like them, and they've been going strong for 8 months!

#4 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM

I used the gerber brand, I think. I got them at Target. I like them but needed to double up.

Not buying the disposable was a great change!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

I adored my Lanacare wool pads.  They only need to be washed (by hand, with wool wash) every week or so, because the lanolin in the wool is antibacterial.  Just let them air dry overnight.  You can also re-lanolinize them, which is a good way to keep them really nice and use up any Lansinoh you have sitting around.  They sell a thinner, cheaper one (Softline), which is what I had and they were fine for me, even with oversupply.  Plus, I'm prone to plugged ducts and they really did help reduce the frequency of plugs.  This is an advertisement, but has good info about them: http://www.danishwool.com/products/item/nursing_pads.html.  I used them for over a year, and they are now being used by a friend, so they last for a long time.  I do wish I'd spent the money on a second pair, to use while washing/drying the others.

I also had a few pairs of hand-me-down organic cotton pads.  I needed to wear two to keep from leaking through, and they had to be washed every time, which made them less useful in my experience.  I hated the disposable ones - they were rough, the sticky side always ended up stuck to my skin and I had to change them every time I nursed. 

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#6 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I don't love mine. They're ok now that my supply is settling and I am leaking less (7 months PP) but I find that they leak a fair bit. I don't soak through them, the milk seems to run out the sides. I have organic cotton ones in the largest size available. I do use them but I use disposables when I want to be sure I won't leak through my clothes.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Check out Bamboobies!  They're THE softest washable pads and are super-eco. Made of ultra-soft bamboo velour and fleece and organic cotton and hemp, they're the softest on the market!  Mothering did a review of them recently too - in the mag and online...  buybamboobies.com is their site and the mothering discount code is "MOM20" for 20% off!

#8 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM

Honestly, I just repurposed some of the bazillion baby washcloths that we had.  Probably not organic or anything, but puts a use to something we weren't using anyway.  I don't leak so much now that I am 3.5 months post partum and she is STTN (for now) but I haven't had an issue with them not being absobent enough. 

#9 of 11 Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips.  Think I'll give that bamboobies a try!  And thanks for the coupon tip too.

#10 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 AM

You're welcome - and enjoy the cozy early days with your new one!

#11 of 11 Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM

I really loved my soft hemp ones.. I bought them from my local natural parenting shop (Nurtured.. I think their website is Nurtured.com or .ca) and some other similar ones online from Etsy.. if you do a search there you're bound to find dozens of crafty mommas that have tried and true pads that work.  I had major oversupply and sometimes doubled up.. but really, really loved my washable pads.  Had to use disposables once while traveling and staying with family (lucky me, I was staying with a cousin who was also nursing!) and needed to do some laundry.. they were crinkly and weird and.. hey.. maybe I just got to be spoiled with my hemp ones. They're great.. and cheap.. they do the job right. 

;)

(Now they're amazing little facecloths for on-the-go.. I think that I have one or two in every jacket pocket..hahahaha)

Tags
Nursing Covers , Nursing Pillows Stools

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page