BF infant not pooping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 2 month old DS and he is exclusively BF, but is not pooping very regular. The first month he pooped pretty regular (every day), but this month he's going as long as 7 days without having a poop. During this time he has really stinky gas and can get a little fussy with gas pain, but we can work him through it by changing his positions. I wouldn't even say the fussyness is colic, it's not that bad. Does anyone have any suggestions using natural remedies for the gas and for the pooping. The peditrician told me to give him water, but I really worry about that decreasing my milk (I DO NOT WANT TO FORMULA FEED). Could I be eating something that is causing the stinky gas? When he does poop he is not constipated, it is typical newborn orange sticky poop, not solid or formed in anyway, and he doesn't seem to strain, in fact it is usually an explosion after that many days. Any help would be appreciated.  

#2 of 7 Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM

It's OK, it's normal!  After 6 weeks old, it is perfectly normal for ebf babies to go 7-10 days between poops.  As long as the poop is soft when it arrives then all is good. thumb.gif

If you want to try something to help with gas fussiness, I would go with a trial of infant probiotics.

KempsMama likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Normal.  My LO goes everyday for awhile, then he'll go three or four days.  IMO, the gas is unrelated to his poop frequency. 

Your pedi is giving you advice for constipation, which is a problem with how hard the stool is, not how frequent.  BF babies poop less because BM is so efficient. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#4 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM

my ds went up to 14 days between poops at that age.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Completely normal!  My LO is 4 months and has days where he goes every day, to every 3-4, to every 7-10 days.  The only time I would be concerned is if it went past 14 days.  And he was an everyday kind of guy up until 2 months of age.  Offer smaller more snack like meals and feed him even if he doesn't ask.  Twice in one hour for 3-5 mins is not unheard of in my home.  Just watch out when it does come, it'll be EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!! And honestly I wouldn't change him the moment you hear it coming because 9/10 times there's more coming.  :)

Do not give water!  The foremilk is watery enough.  Feed often without any regard for schedules and time limits.  And have fun when it finally comes.....I've been on the receiving end of a 10 day hold on poop.....its not pretty  :)

I am a bfinfant.gif, femalesling.GIF, vaccinating, and circumcising mom to Logan babyboy.gif and Seansuperhero.gif
#6 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Normal. DS goes a week between poops and his gas frequently makes me gag.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#7 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. He did finally have a good poop. I just wanted to make sure this was normal. I will definetly enjoy it while is lasts. ha ha

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page