Used Breast pumps. Safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering getting a used breast pump.  I have been on ebay and there are a ton of the Medela ones that everyone says are the best.  how safe is that?  I am a bit creeped out at the thought, but maybe if the parts that touch me and milk could be replaced...  I'm not sure about it.  any thoughts?  or suggestions for other cheaper (but still good) pumps?

thanks much.

I guess I'm a Mom... how strange and wonderful.

#2 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm kinda relaxed when it comes to pumps and sharing breastmilk, so I wouldn't have a problem buying a used pump. I'd boil the parts that I could and get on with things...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 8 Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM

For the price of a used Pump in Style Advanced or Freestyle, you can get a new Lansinoh double electric. It is the same as the Ameda Purely Yours, which is a great pump (peer to the Medela.)

As for used, if I was going to do it, I would try to get a used Ameda. It is a totally closed system, no possibility of milk being sucked into the machine itself. I will say that I once bought a used Medela PIS and pulled the faceplace off... there was crusted BM inside. Whether that is actually dangerous or not... eh. Just not my speed.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#4 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
myk

i'll second the ameda, i had a used purely yours and you could definitely steam sterilize all parts that could potentially come into contact with milk :)

January 2011
#5 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 AM

I have a used Pump in Style.  Theoretically milk can get into the tubes and then into the part they connect to, however, I've never even had milk get into the tubes while pumping (I've used this same pump through 3 children), and even if it did, you can sterilize the tubing and wipe the rest down with clorox wipes or rubbing alcohol or something.  I have replaced all the replaceable parts over time (tubing, bottles, breast shields)

I think HIV is the thing people freak out about, but I've been told by a pediatrician friend of mine that the virus doesn't even live long enough to be transmitted through pumped milk, so I'm certainly not going to worry about it surviving on a used breast pump. 

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#6 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

okay, thanks for the help.  I'm going to look into the other suggested pumps and go from there.

I guess I'm a Mom... how strange and wonderful.

#7 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM

I would buy a used Medela and just replace all the replaceable parts  and clean under the face plate.  I've used the Pump in Style heavily through 3 babies too and love it.  I removed the face plate and there was no sign of anything getting in there.  The milk can get into the tubes at times, but like others said, sterilize or replace them. 

I would caution to try to buy a newer/lightly used one because after three years+ of heavy use, I feel mine isn't quite as effective as it once was.  I replaced all the parts last time and made it through okay.  I'm treating myself to a new one for this baby.  Pumping is hard enough without the pump frustrating you.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#8 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I bought a used Medela (the small electric one), and just got new cups (the part that goes over the breast) and bottles and so every part that touched my breast or milk was new. Worked great!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page