Help! Stomach bug and breastfeeding! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok. This is complicated as I'm pretty confused. But please try to figure this out for me.

DS, age 2, has been throwing up for 4 days. On the second day, I myself got really sick and threw up all night, plus diarrhea. But it ran it's course and now I'm fine. I figured he'd be fine too.

A friend mentioned they'd had the same thing, and that their doc said the bug was causing a temporary lactose intolerance.

It makes sense because my dh didn't catch it, probably because he's already lactose intolerant, so he already avoids dairy!

Anyways, we stopped giving DS milk and he seemed fine all day! We thought, great! He's better. Gave him a bottle of goat's milk before bed... Threw up all night. Crap! 

He doesn't have diarrhea though so it's making me wonder whether that's what he has. But it could just be because he's normally constipated and he hasn't been eating so there's nothign to "move."

So here's my problem. Cutting out HIS dairy is easy enough. But for me it's harder. I like my dairy but I'll do an elimination diet if it helps.

BUT, doesn't an elimination diet take 2 weeks to clear all dairy out of your system?

Would I be better off just avoiding nursing for a week til the bug is gone?

I could pump to keep up my supply. But what if he doens't take back to the breast after? I'm not sure I'd want to wean under negative circumstances...

Help!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 5 Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM

not to worry, dairy in your diet doesn't affect the lactose in your breastmilk. i would keep nursing, but have my child avoid other mammal milks for a week.

#3 of 5 Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that's so good to know! Lol. That pretty much solves everything. What a relief! Because nursing is of course a huge comfort to him while he's sick.

Thank you so much!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2010, 04:12 AM

nak 

more info:

the dairy you eat will contribute dairy proteins to your milk, but we make lactose no matter what we eat.

breastmilk is perfect for sick little ones : http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/baby-illness.html#vomiting

hope you both feel better soon!

#5 of 5 Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hooray! Thank you so much!

Last night went well. I we woke in the night a time or 2 and I nursed him, even though there wasn't much milk there since I haven't been nursing much for a few days. Then dh gave him a bottle of diluted juice just to get some calories into him because we're starting to be able to count his ribs. :( And then he slept til morning. :)

Definitely not feeding DS any dairy for like 2 weeks.

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page