So, can I quit pumping now and not cause a problem? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mammas!

My DS is almost 13 months old. He is still, happily, nursing about 5 times in 24 hours when I am home, and about 3 or 4 times in 24 hours on the days I have to work (3 days a week I am gone for about 8 hours per day). Even when he was a little guy and I was not back at work he only nursed about 6 times in 24 hours--and his weight gain has been great-- so I must have a lot of fat in my milk! lolol

He began refusing drinking EBM from a bottle the days I am at work around 11 months- although it was still offered he would only take around 1.5 ounces from each bottle (two bottles per day). Sometimes under an ounce.

He loves cows milk, which we introduced a few weeks ago at 12 months, and that has not changed how often he nurses. We give him the cows milk in a straw cup, not a bottle.

So- can I quit pumping now since my little guy doesn't like the expressed stuff anymore-- or will that tank my supply and cause him to wean early? I don't want to encourage premature weaning....

But I am sick of pumping..... wink1.gif

#2 of 4 Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

I think you can stop pumping if you want! Do you still have a bunch of milk to use up?

Maybe offer the breastmilk in a sippy or straw cup?

And, you could mix cow milk & breastmilk, if you want to sneak it in.

#3 of 4 Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 AM

It's unlikely to cause an issue with your supply, I just stopped pumping at work since my DD is nearly 14 months and is taking plenty of solids and cow's milk or water in a cup just fine and I was so ready to be done. I have just been paying close attention to make sure she isn't having any problems/issues at the breast and so far everything is fine. If it seemed like my supply was tanking, I figured I could always start pumping again. So yeah, I would totally go for it, though I recommend slowly reducing over 1-2 weeks just for your comfort and to avoid issues and just watch to make sure your supply is doing fine.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I had the same concerns and decided to stop pumping about two weeks ago. Dd was 13 months. I'm only away from her for about 6 hours and had cut down to pumping only once a day at work. I decided to stop cold turkey because I was trying to get my period back (I don't think it worked...) and had a huge freezer stash that was just getting bigger. It hasn't seemed to affect my supply at all. I say go for it. I was uncomfortable and dd was very surprised during her nursing session right after work for three days, then my supply adjusted.

Tags
Breast Pumps , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page