Articles on delaying solids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who is going to start cereal with her ~6mo.  She EBFs her son, but he is exclusively bottle fed.   With my first I started cereal at 6mo, but I am going to delay any solids with my second until 8-9 mo and am not going to do cereal at all.  I made this decision based on talking to LC's and reading up on it.  However, now that I need to give someon info on it, I don't have any resources to give her!  I looked on Kellymom, but a lot of the links on the solids page were broken!!  Can anyone direct me to internet links that diccuss either delaying solids until 8-12 months or that discuss that skipping cereal is ok? (I think that has something to do with not being worried about iron?)Thanks, mommas!

A no vaxsaynovax.gif, cloth diaperingcd.gif, babywearingfemalesling.GIF, breastfeeding bfinfant.giflactivist.gifSAH PhD mom wash.gifto Flora 6/4/08 and Fiona 7/17/10
#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM

Hi!  This was recently a conversation in the "Live with Babe" forum, here's the link which includes links that I think you are looking for!

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1289014/starting-solids

Hope that helps!

Artist, teacher, wife and mommy to DSS, DD1, DD2 and surprise baby girl on the way, 7/12!

#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM

I think many moms wean from the bottle at 1 year, whether breastmilk or formula, so there is a pressure to have baby well established on solids by then.

#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM

this is just an opinion but i think it just truly depends on the baby.   i think some are ready for it at 5 months and some not til 9 months.   to me the most important thing is following the cues of the babe.  i know my daughter was grabbing food off our plates at 5 months but i was so scared to let her have it til 6 months.... by 7  months she was self feeding table food.  (and still nursing a bunch) 

but then there is my nephew -- he was FF--- mom tried BF and i think she could have done it but had a rough start.  regardless -- she delayed til 6 months but  he really wasnt ready til closer to a year.... she did follow his cues and didnt push it but i remember him not starting to self feed til about 14 months maybe? 

i know this isnt really helping you... sorry!

i do remember wholesomebabyfood.com (i think that was the website) it has lots of baby food recipes had a lot of resources on it as far as solid readiness.  i used that alot with my DD

#5 of 5 Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post

I think many moms wean from the bottle at 1 year, whether breastmilk or formula, so there is a pressure to have baby well established on solids by then.

Tags
Food Items , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page