Bottle sterilization question: help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all

I just pumped 4 oz of milk into a glass bottle, then realized I had sterilized it not recently, but almost a month ago.  It was stored uncovered on its side.  Do I dump it and start over?  Or is the milk okay?  My fear is that it was no longer sterile, and that bacteria could possibly build up in there.  I would just boil the milk but I think that is a major no-no.

What do you think?

thanks ladies!

Polly

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM

how old is baby?  was baby term or premature?  any immune system issues with baby?

i had a healthy term baby and I sterilized the pump and bottle into which I pumped once, when I first started to use them.  I was not worried about contamination.

#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM

Most people just give the bottles a good washing. Sterilization is overkill in most cases.

If you're still concerned though, you can scald the milk. Heat it gently until it starts steaming - don't boil it. It'll lose it's beneficial bacteria, but will still have antibodies and is still perfwct nutrition.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

If you're still concerned though, you can scald the milk. Heat it gently until it starts steaming - don't boil it. It'll lose it's beneficial bacteria, but will still have antibodies and is still perfwct nutrition.

Thanks...great answer!  Much appreciated

--Polly

#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM

I've never sterilized a bottle in my life. Even with DD1, who was entirely bottlefed from 2 months. Even with formula, when we were using it. I washed bottles with hot soapy water, and let them air dry, and then put them in the cupboard.

Bottle sterilization is no longer routinely recommended, in areas with a safe drinking water supply, unless there are specifically concerns with compromised immunity-- in preemies, brand-new newborns, or babies with health problems.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM

I thought you only had to sterilize if you have well water.  Otherwise regular washing is fine.  I wouldn't worry if it had been sterilized already, I don't with mine. 

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Unless the baby in a premie or has a compromised immune system I wouldn't worry about it. I don't sterilize my bottles and I don't think it is necessary. We just run them through the dishwasher.

Tags
Health Healing , Breast Pumps , Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page