medela swing - pump question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
myk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i just cracked open my new medela swing! baby is coming next thursday, so i thought i'd familiarize myself with the pump. i'm finding that the standard breast shield (horn shape) isn't the best fit for my small nipples (i am cursed with HUGE breasts but smallish, flat/inverted nipples). i'm thinking of getting a personal-fit breast shield, but the pics on the medela website look like they fit on the pump in style.. the swing's top piece looks different (i mean the part that the tube attaches to, and the shield attaches to it as well).

so, fairly straightforward question here. will the personal-fit attachments work with the swing? do you need to buy a different piece/adapter? or should i try to make do with the standard shield?

and on a related note.. is it normal, while still pg, to not be able to pump more than a drop or two? i'm not worried about it, but some people leak milk during pregnancy and i didn't even get enough to fall into the collection bottle.. just enough to wet the breast shield. i'm not worried per se, just curious.

January 2011
#2 of 3 Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Im not sure about the shields. BUT you really shouldnt be pumping while your still pregnant and yes its totally normal not to have your milk come in before the baby is born... it can take up to a week after for your milk to come in.

#3 of 3 Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
myk

i don't see any reason not to pump while i'm still pregnant - i'm full term and if i go into labour, it's not a bad thing :) i've heard some people can build up a tiny stash ahead of time. they're probably the same people who have leaky breasts while pg.

January 2011

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page