Pregnancy and young baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My baby is 3.5mo old, and I, apparently, am pregnant.  I think I'm only about 4 weeks. 

I have nursed my other 3 until a year (ebf) and then started solids.  But, I also know that my supply dries up around month 4 or so.  So...what do I need to do to get my little baby enough milk?  I really, really, really don't want to give her formula. 

I wondered if I started pumping now if I could get at least half of what she needed.  Or, maybe at the very least get her enough so that she kept her "taste" for breastmilk and would nurse after the baby is born.  Oh my..."the baby is born."  Really?  I just did that. 

Anyway, any advice?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 AM

tiphat.gif Hello, there! First, just, wow! Congrats!

Pumping now to get your lo past the yucks sounds like a great idea to me, but have no personal experiece. I kow that several of my friends have tandem nursed and nursed through pregnancy so it can be done. :)

Really, I just wanted to offer you my virtual support.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have any advice other than to tell you that your milk doesn't always dry up. I had a friend in very similar circumstances (early son nursed until 3, found out she was pregnant at 3 months) and thinks that she matintained her milk supply throughout the pregnancy. Or, at least the baby had good weight gain throughout the first year and they did not need to supplement with formula which isn't quite the same but all that matters. The older baby tandemed for a few months with the newborn and then self-weaned at around 16 or 18m.

I would watch weight closely and then hope! If you do loose your milk supply, it usually happens at around 20w and previous supply is not much of an indicator.

Gently, I don't think it is very likely that you can pump enough milk in advance. You might need to make peace with needing to supplement with donor milk or formula or transition to them entirely. An SNS system might be helpful at a certain point.

However, it would be really helpful to have a nice stash to supplement or transition later. I found double-pumping to be helpful when building a stash. Nurse baby in the morning, wait an hour, pump 10m take a shower and pump 10m. I did this in the evening too.

#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I pumped for while when I first became pregnant-- and we were able to hold off using forumula with my stash for a few months. I say, give it shot if it's not too uncomfortable-- pumping will only increase your supply further.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 5 Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM

No advice, just a congratulations!  We were in the same DDC for our September babes!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page