Gassy Foods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A pediatric chiropractor listed off a ton of veggies that should be avoided while breastfeeding due to gassiness in babies...anyone find this to be true?  I am not a vegetarian by any stretch, but I certainly love a wide variety of veggies.  I feel like I'm going to become the worlds worst eater to avoid gassy foods.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 4 Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM

I am by no means an expert but I can tell you my experience:  I have a 5 month old that I ebf and I eat a ton of veggies.  When I asked my midwife if there were any foods I should avoid she instructed me to eat what I normally eat, because that will someday be baby's normal diet.  He wakes up farting almost every morning, but never acts upset.  I do sometimes give him gas drops before bed if I know I just ate a big offender.  I think keeping yourself healthy is very important and you don't want to have to give up veggies. 

I am curious to see the other answers.  Sometimes I feel really guilty when my little one is really gassy.

novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.gifwaterbirth.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM

I never gave up any foods.  I think (unless there is a true allergy issue) that all foods should be fine.  Babies have an immature digestive system and it may seem like broccoli, beans, etc made them gassy but it really is just the immature systems working to mature. 

I found this very helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html

We eat a lot of spicy foods -- Mexican, Indian, Thai, etc. and neither of my boys had any problems with the beans, lentils, spice when nursing.  These foods are staples across the world so I find it hard to believe that they can be "bad for breastfeeding".

** Please note: I do know some babies are very sensitive to some foods though, my kids just never were.  I ate anything and, so far, they do too!

Loving my two wild and crazy boys -- DS1 06/07 and DS2 12/09
#4 of 4 Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As per the forum guidelines, I am moving this out to the main forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page