Can you help a baby eat more at one feed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My 9 week old is a grazer and it's interfering with his ability to sleep for a decent amount of time.  I know all about letting the baby dictate his feeding schedule and I'm fine with waking up and being available for him, but I really think he'd be less fussy and overtired if he ate for longer than 5 minutes through the night and day.  More importantly, I produce a lot of foremilk, so when he only eats for 5 minutes then not again for 2 hours, he only gets foremilk and not the creamy hind milk (he still has frothy green poops 50% of the time).

Any tips for gently helping him to feed longer and get at that cheesecake?!

#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to the main forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Are you offering both breasts at each feed?

#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Maybe you can try "block feeding", so that you don't switch sides every time.  Feed him the left side twice in a row and then switch to the right for two feeds in a row.  That way he will get more of the hindmilk from that second feeding in the "block", hopefully making him feel more full.  If you have engorgement issues on the other side, express just enough for comfort.  Your supply will adjust.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I do hr block feeding since he doesn't make it through one breast in a feed.  It helps sometimes, except at night when there is 3 or 4hours between feeds - in those cases the foremilk supply is already regenerated!  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page