HELP ME PLEASE! I SERIOUSLY NEED YOUR HELP WITH EBF!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am freaking out right now and need help please!! Ill try to give you the short version of what is going on. 8 month old DD is EBF, which I worked very hard to accomplish. I have been able to be on maternity leave up until  now.  I am supposed to be returning back to work this thursday. My problem is that she will not take the bottle. EVER. I have a freezer full of stored breast milk that she will not take. I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried about a dozen different bottles, even the ones that are supposed to be just like the breast. I have tried warm and cold milk. I have tried fresh and frozen milk. I have tried sippy cups, straws and feeding her from a shot glass. I have tried it while sleepy and awake... night and day and nothing works. I have tried using a nipple shield as well. She has even given up her pacifier that used to comfort her. I dont plan to wean yet. Its important for me to continue bf for many reasons. I had tried giving her solids in the past but that was a no go. I only gave her fruit and veggie baby food once  a day and she got so constipated that she didnt poop for 13 days. She was in so much pain. greensad.gif 6 suppositories later, tons of belly massages and many tears later she finally pooped. but it was SO very hard and it even ripped her a little. I dont want her to go through that again. It hurt me to see her go through that. Her ped said to give her water which i feel she doesnt need right? breast milk has all the water she needs right? or will this fix the problem? I guess I would either like for there to be a way for her to take a bottle of breast milk or for her to be able eat baby food during the day without getting so constipated later on. Anyway Im freaking out because my mom who agreed to watch her for me while I go back to work has now refused to do so because she wont take a bottle... I could lose  my job if I dont show up on Thursday.... Please help!! 

BFPChart2.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hugs mama.  I am so sorry you are going through this.

Is there any way that your mom could bring her to you for feedings?  My cousin's DD would not take a bottle and my cousin would go to work a little later in the AM (9ish) then go and feed DD at noon, then her DH would pick DD up at 3ish and bring her to the office and then cousin would get off work at 6ish.  Not super convenient, but it worked out ok for them and they made it past 1 year.

Good luck.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 PM

my DD needed water with her solids, even with all the breastmilk she was getting, in order to not get constipated from them. shrug.gif

is there any way for you to go nurse her on your lunch or anything? also, has someone tried the bottle who isn't you? DD would never take a bottle if I was available. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#4 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick responses. I should have mentioned that yes, my mom has tried as well. She has tried doing it with and without something of mine around (my smell on my jacket to help dd) and she still won't take it. There is no way my mom or anyone will bring dd to me during the day... I work too far. greensad.gif I am considering giving her solids during the day... But if she needs water to avoid getting constipated, aren't I in the same boat? How do I get her to drink the water if she won't take a bottle??? I'm so anxious and upset about this...

BFPChart2.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

one more idea.  

My dd would never take a bottle, then we tried the 'drop ins', or whatever they are called.  MIL would squeeze the milk out into DDs mouth.  It was the only bottle should would ever take.

I don't know if this would work, but putting frozen BM in one of those mesh bags?

Good luck again.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#6 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM

if she won't take a bottle or sippy, you can thin baby food out with breastmilk and/or water. you can also try using a medicine dropper. we were able to use a sippy cup with no valve (though had to hold it and help her sip). or make a frozen breastmilk slushy? or momcicle? (messy, but would get some milk into her)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#7 of 10 Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Can you try a cup, or even a straw in a cup?  It might be a bit early, but if she is absolutely refusing a bottle or sippy, she might find it easier with a cup.  I think I have pics of DS "drinking" from a cup at around 6-7 months old - it was sloppy, but he had fun and with assistance, she might get a decent amount.  Here's a pic :)

Alexander 128.jpg

Loving mommy to DS, born April 2007.  Trying for baby #2 since December 2008. 
#8 of 10 Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm sure you have, but will she take a sippy with the silicone top? My DS (7 months) will use that kind (he also refuses a bottle). He can sort of suck, sort of chew the soft spout and get some breastmilk. He also likes to drink water from a regular small cup.

As for water, I think she'll be fine with some water. You wouldn't want to give her a bunch of water and then try to nurse her, as her tummy would be full. But if you aren't there, it certainly won't hurt her. My DS loves water in his sippy - and I figure its great to get them used to drinking water. I know my two big kids do not drink enough of it!

DS loves an ice cube in the mesh food bag. We tried when he first thought he might be having some teething pain. Its messy, but FUN!

On the constipation from solids... my DS doesn't have a problem with pooping at all, but he LOVES avocado. We buy them nice and ripe and mash it up and he just gobbles it up. Apparently it is very, very good for constipation. Maybe if you only gave avocado and maybe prunes or plums for solids it would help. Definitely stay away from any banana or applesauce as those are constipating (or any form of cereals).

I can't help with the bottle taking... my DS refused too. They made him super angry!

I hope this helps some. It is really hard when they refuse bottles and you need to be away.

Lis ~ Married to my favorite boy partners.gif and raising "our" three ~
DS 14 (hisjammin.gif ~ DD 9 (mineloveeyes.gif ~ toddlerDS 2! (ours) bouncy.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My ds wouldn't take a bottle either when I went back to work when he was 6 months old. He refused. And he refused at the DCP....at first. And then he got it....he understood that I was gone and this was what he was going to get.

I would nurse him at 6:30 am, and he would refuse a bottle until almost 12 noon! But then he would gobble down 5 oz. and go to sleep and wait for me to pick him up around 330! My DCP was offering milk at 9 30, but he wouldn't take it. So, we started her giving him oatmeal with LOTS of breastmilk in it...super soupy. He was happy...and thrived. I made way more milk than he needed throughout the day. He would then clusterfeed all evening long. When I quit work, he promptly refused taking the bottle again....these kids are too smart sometimes!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#10 of 10 Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM

first of all, it is totally fine to give some water with solids.  try ice in a mesh feeder if everything else is a no go, or give foods with high water content.  my stinky dd is totally addicted to tangerines/oranges, etc.  and they keep her MORE than regular.  watermelon, etc. 

don't panic.  all you can do is offer.  do what pp's suggested, and mix breastmilk with oatmeal, rice cereal, whatever.  keep experimenting.  babies will drink from cups eventually, and your lo will get enough nutrition.  children won't starve themselves.  keep trying!  and try different bottles, too, if you want.  the ONLY thing we could ever use was breastflow bottles.  don't be tempted to use fast flow nipples just to get your lo to eat, though... that can cause other problems.  it really will be just fine.  hugs!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page