Gassy baby - food intolerance? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5 week old is very gassy. She is farting all day long, very smelly, sometimes painful farts. My midwife told me it's normal, just the digestive system adjusting and developing the gut bacteria.  The public health nurse suggested burping her more frequently and inclining her during/after feedings because the gas may be due to oversupply. I've been told she'll just grow out of it.

But how do I know if it's more than that? If she's reacting to something in my diet, how do I narrow it down?

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#2 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM

It's very possible. All three of my little people have had sensitivities as babies. And we're all very gassy before I cut out the offending substance. I narrowed it down by cutting out some of the common intolerances until I got it. Then I avoided them like the plague. Personally I always start by eliminating dairy and wheat first and then wait a few weeks. I usually notice the difference in two to for days (not 100% better but definitely better) FWIW dd1 was sensitive to dairy, ds wheat, dairy and soy and ddd2 wheat and diary. Good luck

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#4 of 4 Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cativari View Post

.... I narrowed it down by cutting out some of the common intolerances until I got it. ...

Do you have a list of these "common intolerances"?  My baby is gassy only every few days, screaming when she farts, and I have wondered if it was something I ate.

thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page